Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st Quarter club run, the Swell.

+8
bcarl13
milo942
thearkmaster
Ty
Andrew
dutchman
offroad_medic
Kevin
12 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

1st Quarter club run, the Swell. - Page 2 Empty Re: 1st Quarter club run, the Swell.

Post by Ty Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:18 am

Kevin wrote:What's your feeling on group size, Brad?  Wanna keep this tight or wideband it?

How big are you thinking Kevin?? I think we should do it like we planned the Newfie trip and throw out a quarterly newsletter/invite out. I was thinking these quarterly club runs would be for us to try to get forum members and potential forum/club members out to get to know each other. I think we could get Noah, Devin, and some of the others out for a swell trip. This could turn pretty big with just us if we play it right.

What are your thoughts? Who did you have in mind??
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

1st Quarter club run, the Swell. - Page 2 Empty Re: 1st Quarter club run, the Swell.

Post by Kevin Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:31 am

I was thinking another email blast too.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:59 am

I say do it. These trips are planned for everyone on the forum to see and attend so why not
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:32 pm

offroad_medic wrote:I say do it. These trips are planned for everyone on the forum to see and attend so why not

Then let's do it! Do you wanna write it? I can if you don't want to.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:53 pm

Am I allowed to mass email everyone? I thought that was one of those admin thingys
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:30 pm

No idea.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:22 pm

Ty has the list. You write it, he'll send it.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:39 am

I have the updated club contact list on the Club email. Put something together similar to the one Kevin did and email it to me. I me then bomb it to everyone registered on the site. I will re email you the one from Kevin if you wan to use it as a guide.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by thearkmaster Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:49 pm

I would consider it. I have a moab trip on the weekend of the 14th so I don't know where I'm at with PTO. How far is the swell area? What kind of terrain? Hardcore wheeling? Light wheeling? Dirt roads? I would need to decide which rig to take and Barney may be going under the knife soon so... Idk if he'll be available for the trip.
thearkmaster
thearkmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:30 pm

No hardcore wheeling. Any 4X4 will work
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:44 pm

That'd kick ass if you could make it, Noah. The Swell is roughly everything between Price and Capitol Reef. There are a couple technical routes here and there, but I don't think we'll be hitting those on this trip. Depending on how many wash crossings Brad can find, we might not even need 4WD, tho high clearance is probably a requirement.

Speaking of, Brad, do you have anything nailed down in terms of schedule/destinations/etc?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm still working on figuring out what cool landmarks to get to and a schedule of how to get to them reasonably in the time. If work stays slow tonight and I can find some downtime after 2-3am then I'm going to hopefully make a more solid agenda
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:34 am

Tentative plans, very much open to suggestions and changes:

Friday-camp at the wedge and see buckhorn rock arts panels/buckhorn wash

Saturday-drive second half of buckhorn wash to I-70. Refuel/restock in green river if needed/desired. Drive/hike black dragon pictographs and the three finger petroglyphs trails. (Possibly a technical section or two). Drive to Copper Globe Mine and explore/camp.

Sunday- drive kimball draw and/or red canyon overlook back to I-70 and either take highway back to emery and home, or drive the Moore road through BFE to the Molen Reef/Coal Cliffs to cut across to Moore and home via Utah 10 (Ferron, castledale, Huntington)

Like I said, input is welcome and appreciated. goodnight
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:34 am

I think we can drive Black Dragon. That might be cool actually. Were you just wanting to hit the rock art site, or did you want to drive the whole thing, and which way? Topo says there's a whole bunch of mines just the other side of Tidwell Bottom. I don't know if there's anything left to see, but we could take a peek.

Not at all familiar with Three Fingers petroglyphs or a trail by that name, by which I mean let's DEFINITELY do that. Very Happy
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:19 am

Will this trip be full-size friendly? I'm working on getting the beest street legal, but it may not be done in time.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:29 am

There may be one or two spots on black dragon or three fingers where you wouldn't want to take your pretty truck and could hop in with me. The author of the trail guide I was reading typically drove a suburban on all the trails and was fine but it also wasn't as pretty as your truck.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 am

dutchman wrote:Will this trip be full-size friendly? I'm working on getting the beest street legal, but it may not be done in time.

I sure hope so because the only one actually driving a 4Runner this trip will be Brad...the rest of us will be in full-sized trucks Shocked
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:26 am

Ty, if you're able to make it, but decide not to take the FarmToy, you and your boys are welcome to ride with Kallin and me.
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by milo942 Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:01 pm

New on here, but I go down there annually in the spring and it's a beautiful area! It sounds like a blast to me!
milo942
milo942

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi Milo, welcome! You should post up in the intro thread if you have a minute, tell us about yourself and that sweet 3rd gen in your avatar. Smile
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Andrew wrote:
dutchman wrote:Will this trip be full-size frie
ndly? I'm working on getting the beest street legal, but it may not be done in time.

I sure hope so because the only one actually driving a 4Runner this trip will be Brad...the rest of us will be in full-sized trucks Shocked

I better not be the only 4R. Mr badmin needs to fix his shiz. That or drive the Wifemobile. Kevin Rules
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:00 pm

The Wifemobile might be driven. I haven't asked her if she wants to come or wants to drive or what.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by milo942 Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:49 pm

offroad_medic wrote:Tentative plans, very much open to suggestions and changes:

Friday-camp at the wedge and see buckhorn rock arts panels/buckhorn wash

Saturday-drive second half of buckhorn wash to I-70. Refuel/restock in green river if needed/desired. Drive/hike black dragon pictographs and the three finger petroglyphs trails. (Possibly a technical section or two). Drive to Copper Globe Mine and explore/camp.

Sunday- drive kimball draw and/or red canyon overlook back to I-70 and either take highway back to emery and home, or drive the Moore road through BFE to the Molen Reef/Coal Cliffs to cut across to Moore and home via Utah 10 (Ferron, castledale, Huntington)

Buckhorn wash is a good area and there are some tunnels left over from bomb testing during the cold war era just a few miles from the start of buckhorn wash. they are called m k tunnels http://www.emerycounty.com/travel/san-rafael-swell-MK-Tunnels.html

it wouldnt be a bad spot to explore. not much wheeling just a dirt road to the tunnels but they are fun to poke around in for an hour or so! :cyclops:
milo942
milo942

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:11 pm

That definitely looks worthwhile to poke around in. I'm sure the kids in the group would love it. Add that to friday.
We can go see the tunnels, set up camp/dinner at the wedge and then see all the rock art and other goodies the next morning on the way to I-70
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by milo942 Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:29 pm

I know there are big group camp sites at the wedge. Is there a specific one in mind? I might not be able to get down there till after dusk on account of the girlfriends schedule, so it would be nice to know where to find folks other than the sound of a bunch of toyota engines humming in a distance Razz
milo942
milo942

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next