Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classics go to Moab III

+8
gstunner
Monsteryota
thearkmaster
dutchman
Andrew
Kevin
offroad_medic
Ty
12 posters

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Go down

Classics go to Moab III Empty Classics go to Moab III

Post by Ty Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:11 am

Kevin linked this over on the spring run thread.  I felt it deserved it own!  This is a run planned by the Classics boys on T4R.org.  I think its really headed up by Kevin.  If you are up for the trip post up!  

I am tentatively planning on it, depending on the baby and whether Britt will let me leave for a couple of days with a brand new baby!

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/150476-classics-go-moab-iii.html

Possible trails:

7 Mile Rim
Kane Creek
Hells Revenge
Fins-n-things
The Trinity (Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim)
Strike Ravine

If we're daring...
Cliffhanger
Moab Rim

Last edited by Kevin on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited to add possible trails)
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Classics go to Moab III Empty Re: Classics go to Moab III

Post by offroad_medic Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:36 am

Tentatively I'll be there too. By then hopefully my rig will be lifted with good tires too. Laughing
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:45 am

I am untentatively planning on this.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:20 am

This run just became more likely for me.  Kevin called it Evil or Very Mad and it doesn't look like the Runner will be ready for thanksgiving.  It looks like this trip may be my first chance to get it down there.

Is this run actually going to happen as a "Classics go to Moab Part III" or is it going to turn into "Desert Runners Go to Moab Part I"
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:49 am

Thardy wrote:This run just became more likely for me.  Kevin called it Evil or Very Mad and it doesn't look like the Runner will be ready for thanksgiving.  It looks like this trip may be my first chance to get it down there.
Not your fault, man, it's hard to get stuff done when you gotta spend 4 hours and a tank of gas round trip just travelling to work on it.  It's fun to say "I told you so", though.  Twisted Evil 

There's several guys on T4R that say they're going.  We'll see how many of them drop out in the month leading up, though. Smile
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:55 am

I'm starting to think that's why you would never come help me, so that you could say I told you so. Evil or Very Mad 
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:57 am

Really is still possible, I just don't have the time or money the next month to, like you said spend 4 his and a tank of gas just to get there. Plus all the cheap stuff is done.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:35 am

Thardy wrote:I'm starting to think that's why you would never come help me,  so that you could say I told you so. Evil or Very Mad 
Yup.  I bribed Andrew not to come up there too.  He didn't really wanna hang out on your smelly farm anyway, so it didn't take much. Very Happy
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:37 am

That's funny! The one time you did come help you spent more time sniffing the cows anyway. :lol!: 
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:11 am

Not sure what else you do up there, besides smell cows and wave flies out of your face.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 am

Did I ever tell you guys that I earned my college money by working on a dairy farm? During the summers, I would drive the trucks along side the combines harvesting silage (feed for the cows). When that was done, we would empty the manure ponds, let it dry for a few days and the haul it down to our 600 acres where we farmed. If you've seen the pictures I posted of my SAS'd '90 pickup, they're actually taken inside the big shop on the dairy. I learned how to stick weld there and tinker on other stuff as well. The Mexicans took care of the dairy itself (milking cows) and I helped the occasional heifer give birth when I was bored...:lol!: 

As you can imagine, after hauling manure around, I smelled permanently. Couldn't get that stuff off my hands or my clothes. Yes, off my hands because if there was one drop that fell on the street, the Sheriff was on us like flies on...well, you know. So we would use our hands to wipe some of the excess off the side of the trucks if we spilled a little with the tractor. Gloves would have made more sense, but after doing it so many times, it was just easier that way...

Anyway, back on topic...I can't wait for Moab! I say we start putting together a list of trails in the first post. Here are some of my suggestions:

7 Mile Rim
Kane Creek
Hells Revenge
Fins-n-things

If we're daring...
Cliffhanger
Moab Rim
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:41 am

clfrnacwby wrote:Did I ever tell you guys that I earned my college money by working on a dairy farm?  During the summers, I would drive the trucks along side the combines harvesting silage (feed for the cows).  When that was done, we would empty the manure ponds, let it dry for a few days and the haul it down to our 600 acres where we farmed.  If you've seen the pictures I posted of my SAS'd '90 pickup, they're actually taken inside the big shop on the dairy.  I learned how to stick weld there and tinker on  other stuff as well.  The Mexicans took care of the dairy itself (milking cows) and I helped the occasional heifer give birth when I was bored...:lol!: 

As you can imagine, after hauling manure around, I smelled permanently.  Couldn't get that stuff off my hands or my clothes.  Yes, off my hands because if there was one drop that fell on the street, the Sheriff was on us like flies on...well, you know.  So we would use our hands to wipe some of the excess off the side of the trucks if we spilled a little with the tractor.  Gloves would have made more sense, but after doing it so many times, it was just easier that way...
Been there done that! Slays I actually miss it!

As for trails, I like the sound of 7 mile, Kane Creek, and Fins. I'm kinda burned out on hells it seems like we run it every time we go.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:45 am

As for the other 2 I vote no! Anything with a huge ass cliff make me poop! I would be up for Strike Ravine again. Steel Bender was fun.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:55 am

I have a confession to make - I've been on Fins twice now, and haven't actually done anything harder than that in Moab.  So I'm about down for anything.  I really want to drive the Trinity, Strike Ravine, and Sevenmile.  Kane Creek sounds like fun but I've heard it's getting really hard, and the pics from Moab Rim scare the bejeezus out of me but if that's where we wanna go, I'll go.

Depending on who else shows up and what they're driving, there may be a day or two that we'll wanna split up into a hard group and an easy group.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:58 am

I don't want to do the trinity with a big group. I takes forever with a small group.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:11 pm

I would like to do fins and hells and possibly steel bender if I can get my truck lifted. Gold bar rim sounds fun too but I don't want to end up like Ty Laughing
So far I don't see any votes for Pritchett......
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:25 pm

I think at this point Andrew and I may want to run Pritchett what do you Andrew?
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:54 pm

I might be down for Pritchett.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:57 pm

I'll take pictures of you guys running Pritchett.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Honestly, I don't know if my balls are big enough to run it. I ran it a few years ago in my dad's Jeep and it's nuts. I've heard it's even worse now.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:50 pm

My buddy ran it 3 weeks ago in his JK and it looked freaking sketchy in his pictures. He said at one spot he almost put his brothers rig on its roof. Like I said, I'll take pictures Twisted Evil 
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:19 am

Thardy wrote:I think at this point Andrew and I may want to run Pritchett  what do you Andrew?
If we ran Pritchett, I would want a local with us (or someone else with LOTS of experience on the trail). Regardless of whether or not we run that specific trail, we should let Jeff (DrtSqrl on RME) and the other Friends of Moab members that we are heading down there for a few days. I'm sure they'd love to run some trails with us.
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:34 am

Thardy wrote:I don't want to do the trinity with a big group. I takes forever with a small group.
It took us all day to do the trinity and we had 3 very, very capable rigs and drivers.  It's actually the trails that I busted my rear third on.  There are lots of tall ledges and I was "bumping" all day just to get up them.  And that was with 35" swampers and dual cases.  We can always run just the Poison Spider loop depending on who ends up going.

Thardy wrote:Steel Bender was fun.
I've done Steel Bender once...it was hot that day and kind of miserable with kids since it was kind of long, dusty, and no real shade to stop and enjoy lunch.

Thardy wrote:I would be up for Strike Ravine again.
I've never done Strike Ravine, that's definitely one I'd be up for.

Thardy wrote:As for the other 2 I vote no! Anything with a huge ass cliff make me poop!
Cliffhanger isn't that bad.  Getting down into the creek at the beginning and then coming back out of it is a little interesting with some good obstacles.  If you ride the trail all the way to the end, then it's right on a cliff...we always turn around once we get to the top.  Moab Rim is boring.  The first part of it is crazy.  Driving along side a cliff, turning inland across a gap in the rocks, and then the "z-turn".  After that, it's "safe" driving on solid ground to the end, you stop at another cliff, and then turn around and go back.  This trail is more for the guys that want to say they've done the crazy obstacles.
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:56 am

Trinity we always leave early and is almost skates dark when we get off. It's also the trail that I lay my rear third and put me in the shop for a year!

My dad will possibly be with me. He knows most of the trail well.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:11 am

Depending on out of state runners, what would you guys think of running Hole in the Rock? This might be a good time for me to run that trail seems Britt probably won't be coming along with a 1 month old baby.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next