Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moab Thanksgiving

5 posters

Go down

Moab Thanksgiving Empty Moab Thanksgiving

Post by Ty Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59 pm

Me and some of my family are heading to Moab friday night after Thanksgiving. If anyone is interested in joining let me know.

Trails are undecided but I have a lot of say in that department. Most of my family will run Pritchett at some point but I'm not built for that, YET, so I will probably run something like Hells Revenge or Fins N Things while there gone.

We already have a decent sized group but I figured opening it up here wouldn't attract to many but thought if you guys were up for it we could pull a couple trails off as a club run.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Moab Thanksgiving Empty Re: Moab Thanksgiving

Post by Ty Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Kevin suggested Kane Creek and I like the idea but think my family would like to join in on that one.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Kevin! Did you see what just happened??? Ty invited us on a run!!!!

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:57 pm

dutchman wrote:Kevin! Did you see what just happened??? Ty invited us on a run!!!!

Yes, but probably knowing full well that you wouldn't be able to make it Laughing
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:14 pm

[/quote]Yes, but probably knowing full well that you wouldn't be able to make it Laughing [/quote]

Don't ruin my fun! cheers

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:05 am

Yeah, he's just buttering us up so he can blow us off again. Watch, it'll be the week before Thanksgiving and he'll bail so he can go wheel some super-secret private trail above Bear Lake or something.

Ty, I've got that weekend off. We'd love to join you but Nicole doesn't know if she's working or not, so pencil us in as a maybe.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:54 am

Shoot Kevin, I forgot, we are probably heading up through snowslide canyon to monpilier Idaho that weekend.

Just kidding. We hit moab every uear Thanksgiving weekend. It like a 5 year old tradition. We would love to have you along. As we get closer we will button down trails.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:08 am

Well it's getting closer so I thought I would throw it out there again to see if anyone wants to come along.

As for right now I will be down there Friday late until Sunday afternoon. I'm trying to talk my wife into staying trough Monday but I think she works.

Plans for trails are probably, but not set in stone. My dad and brothers are running Pritchett on Friday. I would like to run Hells Revenge on Saturday morning then maybe Kane Creek depending on time. Like I've said before we don't wheel on Sunday, but we will usually hit something tame like a 2/3 rated trail, also know as a Sunday drive!!

Depending on what my brothers vote we may hit the Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike loop instead of Hells and Kane.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 am

Thardy wrote:Well it's getting closer so I thought I would throw it out there again to see if anyone wants to come along.

As for right now I will be down there Friday late until Sunday afternoon. I'm trying to talk my wife into staying trough Monday but I think she works.

Plans for trails are probably, but not set in stone. My dad and brothers are running Pritchett on Friday. I would like to run Hells Revenge on Saturday morning then maybe Kane Creek depending on time. Like I've said before we don't wheel on Sunday, but we will usually hit something tame like a 2/3 rated trail, also know as a Sunday drive!!

Depending on what my brothers vote we may hit the Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike loop instead of Hells and Kane.

If I have a truck in time, I'm going to try and come down Saturday. I'd love to drive Hells, Seven-mile, maybe Kane. I'll be on 30s without a locker and may not even have my sliders on, so I think I'll pass if you guys decide to hit the Trinity that day, tho that one's high on my list!
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:42 am

From what I hear sevin mile would be a fun Sunday morning ride. I would rather run Kane and Hells but my brother hates Hells. That is just one of the trails I need to be able to say I've been on in the runner.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 am

If you include Wipeout Hill they'll have all the fun on Sevenmile they could possibly want. And The Pickle is right there, too.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:48 pm

It's looking like the trinity is were we will be heading. I think you could pull it off Kevin. I've seen lesser rigs than yours on it.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:48 am

30 inch ATs, stock suspension, no locker? I could probably nurse it through, and it would be way cool to take a stock rig through there. But I've seen your brothers rigs, and I'd definitely be holding up the party... I hate being that guy.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:57 pm

I've been that guy. You guys never seem to mind much!

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:37 am

dutchman wrote:I've been that guy. You guys never seem to mind much!

We don't?

j/k Very Happy
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:30 am

I'd definitely want a rear locker on triple threat. We took a stock 86 runner through there, only he had a welded rear diff. His rear bumper was dangling off at the end of the day, but he had a blast and loved it. I doubt he would have been in good shape without the welded rear.

Triple threat is my all time favorite trail(s) in moab.
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:39 am

Is definitely one of mine as well. This will be the first time on it with the runner and I'm pretty pumped.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:07 am

Sunday suggestions.

Kane Creek
Seven mile
Rose Garden
Elephant Hill

Those are some that have been talked about. Anyo other thought or suggestions. We will probably only run one trail Sunday.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:20 am

TrailDamage says Rose Garden got much harder. You should go check it out and report back.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:36 am

I've never done any of those 4. Is that the best of the 4? It was on the bottom of my list, but I've never heard much about it other than trail damage.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:59 am

I've done Kane Creek and Seven Mile Rim. Kane Creek is long but pretty mild wheeling until you have to climb out of the canyon. Then it's a bunch of rocks in dirt and then you're driving along a cliff. Exciting ending Smile Most of the trip is down in the canyon criss-crossing creeks in the sand and dirt. Not much scenery other than the mountains above you. In our group last year was a Rubicon on 33's. I wouldn't go in a tire much smaller than that.

Seven Mile Rim is much more scenic and should be rated a little easier than Kane Creek. You drive up on top of the rocks high above Highway 191 and that is your terrain for most of the trip (a little dirt/sand here and there). It's kind of tricky to find the beginning of the trail but if you have that book by Charles Wells, he'll put you right there. For a mix of stock to mildly modified rigs, this trail is perfect.
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:19 am

I think I'm the least built rig in our group. I'm on 33s so I should be fine. We are a mix of mild to heavily modified rigs so sounds like either would be great. How about Elephant Hill what's it like?
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:11 am

I haven't been on it, but I was planning on taking the '86 through and wasn't worried at all. Guys have taken stockers through it, and the hardest part is supposed to be Bobbie's Hole at the exit. Youtube it, it doesn't look very scary to me.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 am

Thardy wrote:How about Elephant Hill what's it like?

Elephant Hill is AWESOME. The trailhead is about an hour south of Moab. It's the main trail that I miss from Moab. It's more than a scenic road, it's got some sections that may require a spotter or two (though they're not dangerous). It's not super hardcore, probably along the lines of rattlesnake difficulty. It's tougher than fins n things, but probably easier than Hell's Revenge.

If you end up doing Elephant Hill, make an entire day out of it and promise me you'll do the Joint Trail hike. That joint trail is absolutely amazing, and it's the reason I love elephant hill so much. In my opinion, it's the coolest part about moab (though I prefer moab for the scenery more than the hardcore challenges). If you don't end up doing Elephant Hill this trip, I plan on doing it in the next two months (beef basin --> elephant hill).

The confluence overlook was flat out boring to me, but some people like to see it.

Regarding Rose Garden, I've never done it but I hear it's pretty boring. If you do end up doing rose garden I'd recommend taking the onion creek trail to get there, then continuing on to top of the world. Onion creek is a dirt road that is very scenic and fun.
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down