Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FYTO 9

2 posters

Go down

FYTO 9 Empty FYTO 9

Post by Kevin Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:03 am

I won't post any pics here, I'm sure there's going to be a bunch posted on ExpUt shortly.

This was my favorite FYTO yet.  I met with Steve Jackson and David Wilson Friday morning at Delle, and we drove up the Lakeside Mountains, crossed the causeway, and then up the west side of the Hogups. We checked out the large caves at Gunsight Butte and in the Hogups - could probably fit two or three trucks into the cave at Gunsight but it'd be tight, and the Hogup cave is larger but there's no way to drive into it and nowhere flat to park anyway.  Both caves are neat and worth a visit.  We stached an ExpUt travelling geocache near the Hogup cave.  Then we drove up to the TCRR and out to the Sun Tunnels at Lucin to make camp.

I got tapped to cook for everybody - I used Eric's chili recipe with a couple minor modifications, and served it over hot dogs and cornbread.  Then I made dutch oven peach cobbler, or tried to anyway, it turned out more like peach cake soup but that didn't seem to stop folks from eating it.  Overall it went well and everybody thought it was tasty.  I cooked for fifty, but I think I only ended up feeding 35 to 40 so I brought a lot of food home.

The campfire was great, as always.  It was about 30-40 feet long and laid in out an S pattern so everybody could sit around it.  There wasn't much freezing done that night, the coldest it got was 17f on my little desk thermometer about 830 pm and it got warmer from there.  It was 25f when I went to bed at 1230 and 30 when I got up in the morning.  It started blowing wind and sleeting then, and that was the pattern for the rest of the day.

Nobody got pics of the sunrise because of the clouds, so we rolled out at 900.  We visited the Fist and the desert tepee, then drove up past Lucin and into the Bovine Mountains.  We headed up Immigrant Pass and then down Rocky Pass into Devils Playground.  Tight roads, and a little slick with just a bit of snow on them, but everybody got through ok, even the Subaru Crosstrek.  We stached another travelling geocache at a spot dubbed Haunted Hollow on Rocky Pass.  After exiting the Bovines, we dropped back onto the TCRR and drove it to Terrace Mountain and the sovereign Republic of Zaqistan.  Or what used to be the Republic of Zaqistan, because we sort of invaded and posted our own flag and now it's the Republic of Olafistan.  Good fun.  There we ate lunch and drove back out to the TCRR and headed for Corinne and pavement and home.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

FYTO 9 Empty Re: FYTO 9

Post by dutchman Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:14 am

Doesn't sound cold enough for FYTO.

Should we be expecting hostilities to escalate with Zaqistan?

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:21 am

dutchman wrote:Should we be expecting hostilities to escalate with Zaqistan?

I hope so. There's discussion of buying some property out there so they can invade us back.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 pm

I like the idea of getting a plot next to Zaqistan. Then we can be like the Canadians and the Danish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Island

"In 1984, the Danish Minister for Greenland planted the Danish flag on the Island and left a little message saying "Velkommen til den danske ø" (English: Welcome to the Danish Island). It is also said he left a bottle of brandy, however this seems to have been Schnaaps, which unlike brandy is a traditional Danish spirit. The Canadians have reciprocated with their own sign, the flag of Canada and a bottle of Canadian Club."

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down