Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brad's old '97 4Runner, Now Brady's

+7
Monsteryota
dutchman
Ty
snivilous
smkd13
Kevin
offroad_medic
11 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Brad's old '97 4Runner, Now Brady's - Page 5 Empty Re: Brad's old '97 4Runner, Now Brady's

Post by Ty Thu May 15, 2014 7:35 am

Looks really good! How tall is it side by side with Bradys? At the angle of the picture it looks quite a bit taller.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Brad's old '97 4Runner, Now Brady's - Page 5 Empty Re: Brad's old '97 4Runner, Now Brady's

Post by offroad_medic Thu May 15, 2014 7:41 am

We didn't get a good side by side comparison but in the front I gained just under 3" and rear I gained about 4" as it sits right now. I'm debating about trying to get that other poly spacer to fit in the front on top of the spacer to get a little bit higher up there.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Thu May 15, 2014 7:51 am

Yah that's why I put the poly spacer in.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Thu May 15, 2014 7:58 am

Ty wrote:Yah that's why I put the poly spacer in.
We tried and tried but the strut was just putting up too good of a fight. So we put it in without it to see how it would be
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Thu May 15, 2014 8:11 am

Ty wrote:Looks really good!  How tall is it side by side with Bradys?  At the angle of the picture it looks quite a bit taller.  

The rear end on Brad's sits a good bit higher than mine.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Sat May 17, 2014 8:42 am

So driving hone yesterday my truck decide to start idling very rough and even choked itself out. After inspecting everything in my driveway I am now getting a good amount of white, sweet smelling smoke from my exhaust.....I have a sneaking suspicion my head gasket just shit the bed. I am not happy. That is all.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat May 17, 2014 11:19 am

Did you find a block test kit?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Sat May 17, 2014 11:54 am

I'm at work all day and night today and tomorrow so my first chance will be Monday morning
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Thu May 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Block test kit rented and performed......Just as suspected fluid got filled with visible bubbles and turned yellow pretty quick. Also I had my neighbors questioning why the hell my truck was billowing white smoke everywhere in the neighborhood.. Evil or Very Mad 
Now time to figure out which parts to order and how to tear my topend apart correctly. I found a machine shop in Bountiful with plenty of experience doing heads. That is all for now.

Edit: I'm thinking something along these lines but would i really need to replace all the gaskets it comes with or would I be fine with just new head gaskets? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=446849&cc=1272596 and then new plugs, wires, and milled heads.....any other suggestions?
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 am

That sucks.

I believe if you're going to go to the effort of tearing everything down, the last thing you should skimp on is fresh gaskets.  You'll teach yourself new swear words if you get it all put back together and find an oil or vacuum leak, so do it right the first time.  Screw Rockauto though, those guys suck.  Get a complete gasket set from somebody that knows Yotas and uses OEM parts.  I found this one, but I'm sure there's more: http://www.toyotatruckengine.com/toyota-3-4l-5vzfe-head-gasket-set-head-bolts/

Here's a link to the FSM on my Google drive, which will have step by step directions for removing and replacing the heads - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WDEGabC63wNF9ZMGtWSVgyY0E/edit?usp=sharing.  Also get a copy of a Chiltons or Haynes for your motor, and between the FSM and the repair manual you should have all the info you need.  Go slow, take lots of pictures from every angle, drink lots of beer, tag every vacuum line and electrical connection, drink more beer, and put all your bolts and nuts in separate baggies with labels, that way you know what's what when it comes time to put it all back together again.  In addition to regular tools (sockets and box ends and drivers and a breaker bar) you're going to need at least a gasket scraper, a block sander, a straight edge to check the block, a tool to compress the timing tensioner, a great big ft/lb torque wrench, and maybe something to hold the crank pulley.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Fri May 30, 2014 8:39 am

When do we start the tear down?

If memory serves, there should be a few threads on t4r that would be good reference.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Fri May 30, 2014 6:54 pm

Kevin wrote:That sucks.

I believe if you're going to go to the effort of tearing everything down, the last thing you should skimp on is fresh gaskets.  You'll teach yourself new swear words if you get it all put back together and find an oil or vacuum leak, so do it right the first time.  Screw Rockauto though, those guys suck.  Get a complete gasket set from somebody that knows Yotas and uses OEM parts.  I found this one, but I'm sure there's more: http://www.toyotatruckengine.com/toyota-3-4l-5vzfe-head-gasket-set-head-bolts/

Here's a link to the FSM on my Google drive, which will have step by step directions for removing and replacing the heads - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WDEGabC63wNF9ZMGtWSVgyY0E/edit?usp=sharing.  Also get a copy of a Chiltons or Haynes for your motor, and between the FSM and the repair manual you should have all the info you need.  Go slow, take lots of pictures from every angle, drink lots of beer, tag every vacuum line and electrical connection, drink more beer, and put all your bolts and nuts in separate baggies with labels, that way you know what's what when it comes time to put it all back together again.  In addition to regular tools (sockets and box ends and drivers and a breaker bar) you're going to need at least a gasket scraper, a block sander, a straight edge to check the block, a tool to compress the timing tensioner, a great big ft/lb torque wrench, and maybe something to hold the crank pulley.

I didn't want to really use rockauto so thanks for the link. Also you're going to be bringing all those special and awesome tools up to my house when you rebuild the motor right?

No clue when tear down will start.. I've been so busy and tired after work lately that my wife even just told me to go find a good shop and have them do all the work for me so I don't have to. haha
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat May 31, 2014 1:24 am

You're welcome to anything I have that you need.  I have all of those except the timing tensioner tool, the crank pulley holder, and the torque wrench - mine doesn't go to 225.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by smkd13 Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:42 pm

Hey if you need help with your timing belt let me know I have the crank tool and the tensioner is easy to do. Btw the crank but is only suppose to be torqued to 217 ft lbs
smkd13
smkd13

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:57 pm

Loaded up and headed to the shop.

Brad's old '97 4Runner, Now Brady's - Page 5 D47930FA-04E8-4E9D-A2B7-5C132B25B609_zpsw474ovu7
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:09 am

So what's the word?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Kevin wrote:So what's the word?
They agree that it's a blown HG and have started tearing it down. They're going to work on figuring out why the hell it blew since I never had any problems and it never overheated. Still waiting to hear back.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:18 am

I get my truck back Wednesday and I'm pissed at the dealer I bought it from to say the least. I pretty much blame them for the HG failure. But that being said, I need to through that extra half inch spacer in the front suspension then wheel the heck out of it. Anyone wanna help with a small top plate spacer next week?
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:47 am

I will be up in Brigham swapping my t case. Bring it up I have a tool that will make quick work of it!
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:01 pm

Ty wrote:I will be up in Brigham swapping my t case.  Bring it up I have a tool that will make quick work of it!
I very we'll may take you up on that offer.

Also anybody know a junkyard that has at least one 3rd gen parked there? I need new front sway bar links...
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:38 pm

There's a guy on RME parting out a 3rd gen.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Kevin wrote:There's a guy on RME parting out a 3rd gen.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up since I still haven't joined RME....
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:32 am

Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:43 am

Not bad but I'm officially broke after having my motor rebuilt. Have to stick with the cheaper way for now.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:31 am

You might want to check Napa or Autozone, etc.. not sure what their prices would be though. There's usually 1 or 2 3rd gens at a yard in Bountiful.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next