Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wendover to St. George on dirt

+2
DesertTE
offroad_medic
6 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wendover to St. George on dirt - Page 2 Empty Re: Wendover to St. George on dirt

Post by dutchman Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:26 pm

In looking at my work schedule, Feb 16-20 works good for me. But, I think that's your weekend working and Josh doesn't like saturday/sunday stuff.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Wendover to St. George on dirt - Page 2 Empty Re: Wendover to St. George on dirt

Post by TRD270 Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:50 pm

I took Feb 24-25 off, I can't take three days off so I'd have to be back Sunday morning. If the previous weekend is better right now its open on the calendar so I can switch
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:51 pm

Kevin wrote:Are we going to duplicate Dave's route exactly?

I missed you posting this. That was my intent, I'm fine with deviating, but I suck at route planning so
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:55 pm

I also need to chase down this loud ass clunking I'm getting when I go over bumps at an angle. I'm hoping its swaybar links transmitting through the frame. It sounded to me like it was coming from the back end, and I've checked everything there. I took a passenger for a ride and they think its coming from the front....... really hope its not LBJ's
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:22 am

If I'd known earlier I could have swung something, but it would be super hard for me to make the 16-20th work at this point.

I'll try if I need to.

TRD270 wrote:I also need to chase down this loud ass clunking I'm getting when I go over bumps at an angle. I'm hoping its swaybar links transmitting through the frame. It sounded to me like it was coming from the back end, and I've checked everything there. I took a passenger for a ride and they think its coming from the front....... really hope its not LBJ's

I'm getting some kind of pinion or bearing noise from the rear of the Broverlander, but I'm not going to do anything about until it makes me.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:52 am

No need to change the dates for me. I'll see what I can do.

Josh, is your truck still using the factory sway bar bushings on the front? I've had some sway bar "clunk" before. If it ends up be LBJs those aren't too difficult to replace.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:23 am

TRD270 wrote:
Kevin wrote:Are we going to duplicate Dave's route exactly?

I missed you posting this. That was my intent, I'm fine with deviating, but I suck at route planning so

Well, are we going to make an effort to start at the ID border and get all the way to AZ? Or do you want to do just Wendover to St George?

Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:39 pm

dutchman wrote:No need to change the dates for me. I'll see what I can do.

Josh, is your truck still using the factory sway bar bushings on the front? I've had some sway bar "clunk" before. If it ends up be LBJs those aren't too difficult to replace.

Yup still running stock, and I imagine they have 211k on them so I'm hoping thats what it is. Just starting my days off for the week so I'm going to try and chase the noise down.
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Have you replaced the original ball joints yet? At that mileage they should be done.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:04 am

What are the odds I could talk any of you fellows into getting your ham license before this trip? I've used mine on trips twice now, and it's definitely superior to CB.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:54 am

I'm interested in getting my HAM license. What's the process?

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:06 am

I'll start a thread.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:45 pm

This hasn't been active for a bit, and the dates are coming up this month. Anyone still thinking about it? I think it sounds cool, but not sure about the amount of time. For me, if I can catch up on Friday and travel from there, it would be better.
Kevin, word of this trip got to Noah, and he lit up my messenger today asking about it. Not sure if we're going exclusive or not... but I figured I'd let you know I told him it was in the planning stages.
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:42 am

Noah's a great guy. If this were my trip I would have already hit him up to come with. But until Josh says otherwise I'm assuming this trip is his baby and I'll leave the invites or lack thereof up to him.

I'm still 100% in and looking forward to it. We should nail down exact dates and our route though.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:23 am

Not my baby, I don't care about invites. Not sure who all is planning to attend from here, but i'd be inclined to keep it to 5-6 rigs. Also the 5th gen that said he was going to follow me around as expected has backed out

As far as dates i'm good for a departure on Wednesday or Thursday, I have to be back in the SLC mid morning Sunday so
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:07 am

K, I threw Noah an invite. Lemme sit down and figure out where we're likely to be each night in case Ben or anybody else wants to try to catch us in the middle.

TRD270 wrote:As far as dates i'm good for a departure on Wednesday or Thursday, I have to be back in the SLC mid morning Sunday so

Define mid-morning. If we camp somewhere outside St George Saturday night, are you good with hauling out early Sunday morning and getting home around 1100-1130?

Also, nobody ever registered a preference, are we going to start at Wendover or try to start from the Idaho border?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:55 pm

with the time we have i'd say start at bendover
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Also my preference would be a Wednesday departure, arriving in St. George Friday.

That would also allow for any contingencies that may pop-up
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:20 am

Then we'd definitely want to start at Wendover. I'll crunch some numbers and figure out stops for camp.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:24 am

If we follow Dave's lead for camps and fuel stops

Night one would be in the area of 39.511490 -114.200897

Night two 38.340767 -113.620193 (which is a cool old mine site..... but is now leveled Mad )

and Night three could be up for debate depending on how close to st. george we want to be

That puts us on average around 190 miles a day.
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:45 am

What do you think about spending Wednesday hammering down to Great Basin National Park, spending Thursday exploring in/around the park, then proceeding to St George on Friday?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:09 am

That's fine, gonna be a lot of miles on day 1 especially with the drive out.
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:46 am

Not too bad, 4-5 hours? Maybe more if we stop along the way to gawk at shit.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:12 am

Pretty good chance of snow. Not that it's a bad thing. My buddy and I were planning on taking the Varsity scouts to the dunes this weekend. He has a tow company, and a fun activity is taking a (almost dead) car out on a hauler, and let the youngsters experience driving, getting stuck, getting unstuck, etc. Plans changed when he drove out there Saturday and found that there's a foot of snow. BLM area north of Little Sahara.
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:55 am

We went out the PET and south at the Dugway Range a week ago. Once we got off the main drag and started cutting tracks we were hitting drifts two and a half feet deep. It's super thick out there right now.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next