Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

snow removal?

3 posters

Go down

snow removal?  Empty snow removal?

Post by Ty Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:37 am

So after last night's storm and having to shovel 10" of snow from my 3 car driveway with the likelihood of adding a 14' trailer pad in the spring. I need to rethink my snow removal methods.

Option#1 buy a big ass snow blower
Option#2 buy a 4 Wheeler with a blade
Option#3 but a winch for my 4runner and modify my front bumper to mount a blade that my dad will give me.

What are the pros and cons to each? Advice please!
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

snow removal?  Empty Re: snow removal?

Post by Andrew Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:00 am

I'd go #2.

No, not that #2!

4Wheeler will be much more agile and less frustrating in a residential driveway. Plow on a truck is good for business parking lots where you can go in nice straight lines. Plus, you can ride it all year round.

Snowblower is extra maintenance and sits for 8-9 months out of the year.
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:05 am

I agree with #2 BUT $2000-$3000 for a decent 4wheeler plus plow and winch or $400 for a winch and bumper mods? The plow is fairly light and it would be nice to plow the cul de sac!
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:45 am

A blade on your 4Runner would be serious overkill for your driveway, and unless your neighbors are planning on paying you for plowing the culdesac I think you should skip that idea.  I think the ATV would be too big for your driveway.  I have a 24" two stage snowthrower, and honestly it's way too big for my rinky driveway, but I think something of that size would be perfect for yours.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 am

So it looks like snowblower it is, for now. Ideally I would like the 4 Wheeler for the fact that I can use it year round, but for money sake and time sake I think we are going to go with a snow blower. However I am going to build a Mount on the runner for the blade. It will be nice to have the option to clear the cul de sac out or help scrap the church lot. But in the mean time the winch is gettin kicked off the Christmas list Sad  I need the snow removal tool more.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:42 am

So now that I've decided to get the snowblower. Which one to get? I've really liked my troy-built stuff, but know craftsmen is a great brand. For the price right now the craftsmen seems like the best deal, but i have to beat the sale. I can get a better deal on the MTD through my sister in law, but I know nothing o the brand.

Troy-Bilt

Craftsman

MTD
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 am

My Yard Machines/MTD blower didn't start this year, and when I tried to take it apart it made me want to punch a nun.  So I paid a guy to tune the carb, and he told me the Made In China (including TroyBilt and Craftsman) machines have the market dominated, and they're what keep him in business.  According to him, John Deere, Snapper, and Ariens are the only machines still made in the US.  If I were looking to pick up a snowblower now, I'd look at a John Deere, or see if I could find a used snowblower from one of the other brands that was made in the US.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:45 am

Whatever you end up getting, consider only running ethanol-free gasoline. Ethanol hits these small engines pretty hard, especially if left in the tank for long periods of time. Stabilizers can help with this, but doesn't help with the damage ethanol causes in general. There is a station on State St. in Orem I use.
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:51 pm

If I go John deere I might as well just get the 4wheeler. They're about the same price! Don't get me wrong I love American made but not willing to pay that kind of money fora snow blower
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:55 am

clfrnacwby wrote:Whatever you end up getting, consider only running ethanol-free gasoline.  Ethanol hits these small engines pretty hard, especially if left in the tank for long periods of time.  Stabilizers can help with this, but doesn't help with the damage ethanol causes in general.  There is a station on State St. in Orem I use.

What is the station in orem you use to get ethanol-free gasoline?
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:18 am

This site will tell you - http://pure-gas.org/
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down