Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1994 2nd gen green 4runner - Bro-in-laws

4 posters

Go down

1994 2nd gen green 4runner - Bro-in-laws Empty 1994 2nd gen green 4runner - Bro-in-laws

Post by Vitruvius Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:45 am

So not so sure where I should post this, but i figure i should just get it posted and then be told whether this spot is OK or get it moved to the right spot.

Anyhow, my brother-in-law has a 1994 4runner that has been sitting a while and now he is finally considering doing something with it. He is toying with the idea of an engine swap, he read somewhere online that there was a lexus motor he could throw in, by throw in, I mean pay one of his buddies that does it for a living to do it. I figured I could get this chat going and see what input you guys have and direct him to this post and get him to chime in / take it over. I don't claim to know much about 4runners, but I do know a little about 3rd gens, and even considerably less about 2nd gens

Things that might be important:

the 4runner has sat for several years.
Manual transmission
High mileage (don't know how high yet)
rear end sag
he is willing to spend $$

I have started looking at t4r.org but haven't found much yet or even builds on there that seem similar to what he / I would want to do. I am familiar with the 3rd gen area and the builds there, so any advice on similar trucks/builds would be greatly appreciated.
I wanted to tell him to just sell the 2nd gen and get a 3rd but I kind of want to see the 2nd gen built up. I will post some pictures when i get some.
Vitruvius
Vitruvius
PHOTO KING

http://5-degrees.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

1994 2nd gen green 4runner - Bro-in-laws Empty Re: 1994 2nd gen green 4runner - Bro-in-laws

Post by Kevin Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:21 pm

I moved this to the Tech section for you.

There's a couple different Lexus motors that would be candidates for a swap into a 4Runner, without knowing which one he had in mind and what else he's got planned for the truck it's hard to give any advice though.  He's probably thinking of the 1uz. Send him in here and let's get some more details.

Last edited by Kevin on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

1994 2nd gen green 4runner - Bro-in-laws Empty Re: 1994 2nd gen green 4runner - Bro-in-laws

Post by Bennamin Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:45 pm

Sounds like a great project that I could sit by and watch, so I know what I do/don't want to do with mine! Smile
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vitruvius Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:15 am

started looking up those 1uz swaps, thats pretty cool. I wonder if a supercharged 3.4L would be less $ and easier to do.
Vitruvius
Vitruvius
PHOTO KING

http://5-degrees.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:53 am

Definitely easier to do. I dunno about less money, there's a BHG 5VZE on RME right now for $300 but he'd have to replace the head gaskets and then source a supercharger and those aren't cheap. He could score a running SC300 for under $1000, but then there's the issue of what trans to run and adapters for those aren't cheap either.

Motor swapping is expensive. Brady just bought his new motor for $1200 and that's STUPID cheap for what he got, you couldn't put his swap together from scratch for under $3000 I think. If your BIL wants a "performance" setup he should budget the same, and then double it if he's paying somebody else to do the work Smile. On the other hand, he could find a wrecked 5VZE 4Runner or Tacoma to use as a donor and maybe get away with a $1000 swap once he parts out the carcass.

Lots of options.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdgentrav Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du8VO-4AC_E

been looking at this guy's youtube videos of swapping Volkswagon diesels into 4runners and trucks, the lowend torque and especially the 40mpg really have me interested
3rdgentrav
3rdgentrav

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down