Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emergency Brake for lifted 2nd Gen 4Runner

3 posters

Go down

Emergency Brake for lifted 2nd Gen 4Runner Empty Emergency Brake for lifted 2nd Gen 4Runner

Post by JIBswheeler Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Guys-

As I said in my intro, what originally led me to this site was searching for a solution to replace my ebrake that had been deleted by a previous owner to avoid it getting ripped out on the trail or in articulation. With the spring over conversion and the 5 inch lift springs I believe I am somewhere close to 8 inches above stock. I am not completely sure of all the implications that the lift and articulation bring but it looks like a pull cable type ebrake is not going to work. I have found a bunch of almost bolt on fixes that mount to the transfer case for 22RE's but nothing for a 2nd gen six cylinders. I have called around and wainting on some call backs from various off road shops but so far no answers.
Any info at this point is good info.

Thanks,

Zach

JIBswheeler

Back to top Go down

Emergency Brake for lifted 2nd Gen 4Runner Empty Re: Emergency Brake for lifted 2nd Gen 4Runner

Post by dutchman Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:11 pm

I think I red somewhere than an e-brake on the transfer case wouldn't pass safety inspection in Utah.

Why wouldn't an extended cable work?

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Emergency Brake for lifted 2nd Gen 4Runner Empty Re: Emergency Brake for lifted 2nd Gen 4Runner

Post by Kevin Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Yeah, so the transfer case brake won't bolt right up to your tcase, and oddly enough it wouldn't pass safety as an ebrake anyway.  Neither will a line lock.  To pass safety you have to have a mechanical ebrake working in the rear drums.

Your pull type cable will work, you just need to mod it.  With that much lift you'll definitely need a longer cable to reach the rear axle - easiest if you still have yours, but if you don't it'd probably be best to find one in a junkyard.  I'm pretty sure Six States can make your a new cable, I think Hose and Rubber can but don't quote me on that.  You'll want to take them the stock ebrake cable so they have fittings to work with, and they'll make you a longer cable with those fittings.

The other question is your rear axle - if it's the stock axle, well and good, but stock is awfully narrow for as much lift as you think you've got.  Your PO might have put a wider axle under the truck, in which case you might need to assemble something from scratch, a kludge of the oem fittings for that axle and the oem fittings for the 4Runner.

But it's definitely doable.  Everything is doable.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JIBswheeler Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks for all the info. This should save me a lot of wasted running around a solution that wouldnt pass anyway. I will let you know how it goes.

JIBswheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by JIBswheeler Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:40 am

BTW, to Dutchmans question, "why wouldn't extended cable work"?  I am a little ashamed to say I was actually just taking the PO's word for it, that it woudnt work and hadnt really looked as closely as I should have. Thanks again!

JIBswheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down