Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introductions

+41
willow
Darkness1982
fixitmr
TyGum
DNO
DesertTE
3rdgentrav
SNO SKI
Bennamin
bcarl13
milo942
sumdude
jlawrey
ricsrx
NateC
TubbyT4R
BoostedRNR
HDL_CinC_Dragon
airmanwilliams
Monsteryota
Krawler_Bowler
oakeeee
thearkmaster
cassidysymes
Devin
Lank
snivilous
offroad_medic
smkd13
Vitruvius
Kedds
Cartzo
GottaBeTRD
100%NewZealand
sixstringsteve
Maldito X
UteRunner
dutchman
Andrew
Kevin
Ty
45 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Introductions - Page 10 Empty Re: Introductions

Post by Andrew Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:56 pm

The guy I sit next to at work lives in Spanish Fork. He was one of the major voices for the "No" crowd for the Life Center. Man that thing blew up! I was quite informed of what was going on because of him.

Welcome!!!
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness1982 Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi guys
I'm DaMarques I have a 91 T4R currently sitting on the sideline with a blown head gasket. I'm not overly mechanically inclined. but I would appreciate any shop recommends tips or tricks. I will get pics posted soon.

Darkness1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:46 am

Welcome! If you want a good independent Toyota shop, you want Divinity Auto. Get out your checkbook though.

22RE or 3VZE? I've done a 22RE head gasket, they're not bad. The rats nest of vacuum lines on a 3VZE makes me not want to ever mess with one, though.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkness1982 Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:11 am

Thanks for the reply Kevin.
Its the 3vze yea its a huge undertaking I can tell already. but I promised the runner to my son once he is old enough to drive it lol so I got 6 years to change the head gasket I suppose lol

Darkness1982

Back to top Go down

Post by willow Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi - I'm a noob. I got a 1997 4Runner so that I can get farther into the desert for climbing and canyoneering, however I need some skills so I can get home! Nothing special on the 4Runner, just had work done to get it functional. I also want to the learn the mechanical side. I am an avid rock climber and lover of the desert but 9-5 I am an electrical engineer for a small company. I would love to get our for some beginner rides. - Willow

willow

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:29 pm

willow wrote:Hi - I'm a noob. I got a 1997 4Runner so that I can get farther into the desert for climbing and canyoneering, however I need some skills so I can get home! Nothing special on the 4Runner, just had work done to get it functional. I also want to the learn the mechanical side. I am an avid rock climber and lover of the desert but 9-5 I am an electrical engineer for a small company. I would love to get our for some beginner rides. - Willow

Welcome! You've come to a good place (at least I think so)!

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:16 am

Hi Willow, welcome! Desert season is coming, we can definitely work out a couple easy trips in the near future. I spent all last night looking at topo maps and finding new places I want to explore, I'll post up when I go.

How are you set for winter camping gear? Very Happy
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by os1rfw Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:40 pm

Hello everyone. My name is Ron and I live in Draper. I work at Kennecott Utah Copper, so I have a rotating schedule. I have a 2013 Tacoma DCSB TRD. I like doing trail runs, expeditions, etc. especially where there is some historic value to it.

os1rfw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:00 am

Hi Ron, welcome!
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Introductions - Page 10 Empty Introduction

Post by mcfenton13 Fri May 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Utah Desert Runners,

I have lived in Utah since the age of four (I am now 39) and I've always loved the outdoors and spent a great deal of time exploring this amazing state, and it's many scenic back roads. Up until a few years ago, I generally preferred to explore alone, in an effort to escape crowds and the hustle and bustle of day-to-day life. However, five or six years ago, I acquired a 1999 Limited Toyota 4Runner. As I began to research off road modifications on sites such as: ih8mud.com, yotatech.com & ttora.com (amongst others) I became increasingly interested in the Toyota 4WD community, in addition to the burgeoning overlanding community.

In 2015, for the first time, I attended the Cruiser Fest at the (at the time) Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele and thoroughly enjoyed meeting so many kind, welcoming and likeminded individuals. As I am usually accompanied by my dad (and my three-year-old Australian Shepherd), I faced a dilemma with my 4Runner. My dad, after some serious health issues, found himself a bit claustrophobic and uncomfortable in the 3rd gen. 4Runner. He is more comfortable in his crew cab, King Ranch F-150. And while it is hard to deny the versatility of the big truck i.e. comfort, space and towing ability, the F-150, simply wasn’t as capable off road as the 4Runner. While it's served us extremely well on trails like the Notom Trail, Burr Trail, Cathedral Valley Trail, Valley of the Gods Trail or even the Shafer Trail, it simply isn’t made for more technical trails such as Elephant Hill, Fins n' Things, or Top of the World. Therefore, after much deliberation, and taking into account the 4Runner did have 237k miles on it, I decided to sell my 4Runner (and yes, it was heart breaking!).

Thus began the search for a slightly larger, more comfortable, Toyota 4WD. Our long-term plan was, and remains, to build a capable, reliable overland/expedition style vehicle that meets our various needs. In addition, I was hoping for something capable of pulling a small off road trailer.

Initially, I had hoped to purchase a 100 series Land Cruiser. However, after months of searching online, and driving as far south as Spanish Fork and as far north as Jackson Hole to look at Land Cruisers, I realized, much to my surprise, that I could purchase a Lexus GX 470 for significantly less than a 100 Series Land Cruiser. With a limited budget (as a junior high school teacher) I was able to find a well maintained, one owner, 2004 GX 470 that fit my budget. Built on the 120 Platform, it shares much of its DNA with the 4th gen. 4Runner. However it's sold as the Land Cruiser Prado in markets outside of North America. The oft-overlooked GX fit the bill perfectly with more space, a V8, and despite the Lexus badge (which, has turned the heads of more than a few jeep drivers) the Torsen center locking differential and A-TRAC 4WD system, has proven to be extremely capable off road.

I have since begun the, process of building up the GX with a 2" suspension lift from Sonoran Steel which includes Bilstein shocks and Toyota TRD Progressive front coils and Radflo rear coils. In addition, I’ve added Light Racing upper control arms, a 4 Crawler 1.5 inch body lift and Cooper ST Maxx 255/80R17 tires. Subsequently, I joined the Toyota Land Cruiser Association and attended the 2016 Cruise Moab with my father. We returned to Cruise Moab this year (adding Hefty Fabworks skid plates and rock sliders to help get us down Rose Garden Hill in one piece) for the 3-day, 2-night Kokopelli Trail. We had a fantastic time, met some wonderful people and look forward to attending Cruise Moab as an annual event.

I'm excited to meet fellow Toyota/off road enthusiasts, as I continue to learn about these great vehicles and explore this great state. After my last few trips to just outside the Needles District of Canyonlands, then exploring the Comb Ridge and Butler Wash area, followed by the Kokopelli Trail, I have to say, the state of Utah never ceases to amaze me with its seemingly limitless, breathtakingly beautiful remote mountains and deserts.

I’m hoping that over the summer, I’ll have the opportunity to meet some of you and join you on some of your trail runs.

Sincerely,

Matt

mcfenton13
mcfenton13

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Fri May 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Welcome to the club, make sure you keep an eye on the upcoming trips section. We'd love to meet you in person. Handful of trips coming up and a lot more to come as hopefully the weather will be cooperating
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by JIBswheeler Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello Utah Desert Runners-

Thanks for the welcome email Ty. My name is Zach, I found your site yesterday searching in desperation for a solution for a deleted park brake on a 4runner I just bought. A little about myself. I was born in Ogden Utah and raised in Brigham City. I am 50 this fall, have two kids, a son that just graduated high school and is heading up to the U this fall and a daughter that starts high school this fall and a my girlfriend Ann Mari. I am a tech (computer networking) salesman and cover Utah and Nevada with most of my business in Nevada which means I am on the road a lot. When I am home we like to get out in the woods when ever we can, which is not nearly as much as we like. I love the out doors. Love Toyotas (this one makes number 5). I like to shooting and collecting guns. I like just about anything with a motor. I am a fairly quick study and am semi handy but dont know enough to fix my park brake issue. If anyone has a tip or a shop you recommend I would be very greatful. The 4 runner I am working on is a 91, with a spring over solid axel conversion and a about a five inch lift, I am not sure exactly how much total lift over stock but I think its about 8 inches-ish. long story short I have a lot of cool stuff on this that wasnt on the last one but because of all the lift and articulation the previous owner deleted the park break and now aside from not being able to aply the ebrake (which I would like to have the option) I cant get it registered. : (
I look forward to meeting and hitting the trails with you guys. I think I read most if not all of the intros and it sounds like a very cool bunch of people.

Thanks,

Zach

JIBswheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:56 pm

JIBswheeler wrote:I love the out doors. Love Toyotas (this one makes number 5). I like to shooting and collecting guns. I like just about anything with a motor.

Wow, you're not going to fit in with this crowd at all, huh? Very Happy

Hard to offer any advice without more details but I'd love to help you get your emergency brake back. Start a thread in the 4x4 Tech forum and lets see what we can figure out.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by JIBswheeler Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Haha, Yah it looks like it's gonna be real tough getting along with you guys.

JIBswheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum