Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So this happened.

+6
Kevin
Monsteryota
Andrew
offroad_medic
dutchman
Ty
10 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

So this happened. - Page 2 Empty Re: So this happened.

Post by Ty Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:22 am

Andrew wrote:Kevin, what is your lug pattern?  Maybe you could find some 18x7 or 18x8 takeoffs from a newer Ford?

Lug pattern is a lame 5x135 on I believe '97-'03 F-150s and Expeditions. Newer Fords went to a 6 lug and older fords were a 5x5.5. 18" take offs might be pretty hard to find. As far as I know they only came stock with 16s or 17, but I have been wrong once before!!
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:50 am

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

This gen F150 came with 5"x135mm studs and 16 or 17 inch wheels.  Mine are 17s, and I'm really liking the idea of some Cooper ST-MAXX skinnies.  I could do 255/75r17 which is about a 32 in load range C, or I could do 255/80r17 which is a 33 in load range E.  I'm kinda leaning towards the 32s, for a little better ride and less performance hit.  Both tires are just above $200 each at Discount.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:47 am

Andrew wrote:Kevin, what is your lug pattern?  Maybe you could find some 18x7 or 18x8 takeoffs from a newer Ford?

Or I suppose I could always use hub adapters - Spidertrax and the like are street legal as long as you're using them to change the stud pattern.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:55 am

Kevin wrote:

Or I suppose I could always use hub adapters - Spidertrax and the like are street legal as long as you're using them to change the stud pattern.

They are street legal as long as they bolt in place. Don't necessarily have to change pattern just bolt in place.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 am

Ty wrote:
Kevin wrote:

They are street legal as long as they bolt in place.  Don't necessarily have to change pattern just bolt in place.

I wish that were true.  The inspection manual they go from makes a distinction between wheel spacers (shims) and hub adapters (that bolt on) and if that was all it said there'd be no problem.

But it goes on to say
A wheel adaptor changes the bolt pattern of a vehicle’s hub and moves the wheel out allowing the use of custom wheels for most cars. Wheel adapters are not spacers.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/X2009-2010%20SI%20PLT%20ManuaL.pdf page 18

I argued with three different inspection places that my bolt-on spacers are functionally no different than a hub adapter and should be allowed and none of them budged.  So I called DPS to complain that these guys were reading the manual wrong, and the lady I spoke to said they had very deliberately worded it the way they had to allow classic cars to change to a modern hub pattern but exclude people who just wanted a wider stance. I had to take the spacers off to get the truck to pass.

It's ridiculous, but that's how it is - bolt on spacers that don't change the stud pattern aren't supposed to pass inspection.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:38 am

Interesting. I must have understood it wrong. We run them on everything and have had no problems with inspections.

Mine are hub adapters. They adapt my 61" axle to a 65" axle via the hub!! Twisted Evil 
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:02 am

Ty wrote:Mine are hub adapters.  They adapt my 61" axle to a 65" axle via the hub!! Twisted Evil 

I'll try that next time. Very Happy

Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 am

No problem passing inspection around here has well with bolt-on wheel spacers (maybe it's a Salt Lake County thing??).
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Monsteryota Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:49 am

I have bolt ons on front and rear and don't have a problem. See Larry at tunex on 3500 and 5600 west south of arbys
Monsteryota
Monsteryota

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:59 am

Got it back from the shop a couple days ago, looking better than before the accident.

So this happened. - Page 2 20140918_131102_zpsgvfsz1yq

I scored a set of 255/75r17 KMs for way cheap. I'll get them mounted up some time in the next couple weeks, then I believe it'll be time to engage in some navigational endeavors before the snow hits.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 pm

New meats!

So this happened. - Page 2 20141023_124950_zpsdxhaamho

Much better.  The p rated streets that were on there were super squishy.  It feels more like a truck now, and I'm ready to find some dirt.

I haven't decided if the running boards are staying or going. The wife loves them, so they might stick around until I can build/find a set of sliders that will double as steps.

It's not getting built though.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 pm

You're ready for some dirt and a lift, and lockers, and bumpers, and long travel, and a supercharger, and a RTT!

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Butthole! It's not getting built I said.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:52 pm

I'd replace the running boards with some sliders.

https://www.rockslideengineering.com/product/rock-step-slider-2/
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Boat side steps would be killer. I'll have Chocflip make 'em.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:18 am

Had the truck down in Moab last weekend, doin' mostly tourist stuff with the family but I did drive out the Colorado Overlook trail in Needles. I hadn't been out there and I wasn't expecting anything remotely techical but I found it anyway, and the truck handled it great. The steps must not hang down near as bad as I thought they did, because I was sure I was going to tear them off at one point. But the KM tires drove down and back great and handled the dirt and rocks awesome, and I didn't even air down. Good stuff. I need to get the Bastard done soon or I'm going to try and wheel this thing for real and end up breaking something.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:11 am

I've converted to wheelin' a full size - you should too.
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:25 am

Eh.  If I ever get to building on the Ford (IF I said!), it'll be towards family camping and overlanding, not making a serious wheeler out of it.  A winch and an RTT or bed tent, probably.  Sliders and a locker maybe, but I'm not going to invest a bunch of money into making this land whale into a rock crawler.  The Bastard is so much better suited to serious wheeling that it'd be silly to put that money anywhere else.

It would be fun to get it on some more moderate trails though. We definitely need to get the trucks out to play together. Smile
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:36 am

That's a great plan. Overlanding is what I prefer now-a-days, especially since I can get the family to come with.
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:56 am

Kevin wrote:Eh.  If I ever get to building on the Ford (IF I said!), it'll be towards family camping and overlanding, not making a serious wheeler out of it.  A winch and an RTT or bed tent, probably.  Sliders and a locker maybe, but I'm not going to invest a bunch of money into making this land whale into a rock crawler.  The Bastard is so much better suited to serious wheeling that it'd be silly to put that money anywhere else.

It would be fun to get it on some more moderate trails though.  We definitely need to get the trucks out to play together.  Smile

I like the plan you laid out here. Although, I won't be on any trails even moderate ones in my truck.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Nonsense. You said if I start a build thread it would force you to start one too, and I'm going to hold you to it. Get something else pretty for your wife to drive. Very Happy
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:15 am

dutchman wrote:I won't be on any trails even moderate ones in my truck.

This is why I have a 4runner. When I get another truck the build thread will consist a 4 inch lift and tires and wheels. No long travel, no roof top tent, probably throw some air bags on it. It won't be used as an offroad vehicle. Of that were the case then no need for the runner.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:18 am

Ty wrote:
dutchman wrote:I won't be on any trails even moderate ones in my truck.

This is why I have a 4runner. When I get another truck the build thread will consist a 4 inch lift and tires and wheels. No long travel, no roof top tent, probably throw some air bags on it.  It won't be used as an offroad vehicle. Of that were the case then no need for the runner.

I don't mind having multiple vehicles handling a variety of offroad needs. My 4Runner is too small for my entire family plus gear, and they aren't fans of long trips in it, so the Ford will do double duty - it'll take care of the overlanding/minor wheeling it's own self, and it'll tow the 4Runner on longer trips when there's harder wheeling to be done.

On point to point style trips with technical wheeling, the fam will have to suck it up or stay home though. Twisted Evil
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:52 pm

Bed rack over the rear, check!  The tonneau cover I picked up already had some rails on it, so a couple t-slot bolts and some angle iron made me a serviceable set of artificial gutters for my load bars.  I'll work up something classier when the weather turns, but when it's 20 degrees in the sunshine I don't do "pretty" Very Happy.  And please ignore the white tonneau cover, it's been too cold to do anything about that too, but I've got some bedliner waiting to go on it once it warms up.

So this happened. - Page 2 20141210

Topped it with a rack.

So this happened. - Page 2 20141211

I'll decide after this weekend whether or not it's going to stay on there.  If it stays, the hilift will get moved to one side and the shovel mounts to the other.  And I'll definitely need some stronger struts, it's a struggle to benchpress it up!
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:47 am

I like the look, gotta color match that cover though. I use my bed too much to have a hard cover like that though.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum