Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody know anything about web sites and URLs?

+4
thearkmaster
offroad_medic
Andrew
Kevin
8 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Anybody know anything about web sites and URLs? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody know anything about web sites and URLs?

Post by Kevin Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 am

I think a one page deal would be fine.  Put a link to the forum on top, then some club info, then maybe some pictures of members trucks with brief bio/blurb/things?  We could do more than one page, but I know that's more work.

It'd be cool to eventually have a section full of trip reports once we get around to doing something more impressive than Snakes and AFC as a club.  Smile
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Anybody know anything about web sites and URLs? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anybody know anything about web sites and URLs?

Post by Ty Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Utaht4r .com and desertrunnerst4r are both available at .99 cents for the first year. Any more thoughts on this.

I personally like desertrunnerst4r. I mean that is the club name!
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:05 pm

Heck, let's get them both then.  Is that one of those deals where they register it and own it and rent it to you? A buddy of mine got burned by that once. 
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:27 pm

I have no idea how it works. Is through godaddy.com
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:59 pm

I personally would pick utaht4r.com if I had too since it's shorter and a lot harder to spell incorrectly. Haha
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:12 am

I did some screwing around in Microsoft Publisher last night - something like this, with links along the bottom? 

Anybody know anything about web sites and URLs? - Page 2 Pageview_zps218175e8

Here's the direct link, in case this silly board cuts that image off: https://2img.net/h/i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p587/kidvermicious/pageview_zps218175e8.png.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:34 am

I like it, but think it needs to be jazzed up a bit. It's a little plain. I think it needs to pop! When you open the page you think, man that's bad ass these guys must be pretty cool (even if we're not)! When I get back to work Sunday night I will tinker on publisher as well.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:23 am

Good, you're better at this stuff than I am.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:16 am

How about this?  Mostly Kevin's work, but I liked it so I just touched it barely!

Anybody know anything about web sites and URLs? - Page 2 Utdrt410
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:55 am

Not a huge fan of the font you picked.  Very Happy

You're right, it needs more color.  I'm gonna play with it some more.  I can email the file we're working from if anybody else wants to mess around with it?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:04 am

Fonts can change! What about leaving the background light life it is and making the 6 solo shots full color?
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:46 am

I'm messing with that right now.  Maybe not full color, but definitely brighter.  And then maybe just the one link to the forum, and use full-color shots for Member's Rides lower on the same page?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:52 am

Try it!
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:27 am

With the font changed to something a little less scrapbook-esque and those main pictures brightened up I think that would look way good. Way to go computer literate people!
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:04 am

offroad_medic wrote:With the font changed to something a little less scrapbook-esque and those main pictures brightened up I think that would look way good. Way to go computer literate people!
I told him that font made us look like a knitting club.  Good to hear I'm not alone in that.  Very Happy

It still needs edited, but here's the current working prototype:

Anybody know anything about web sites and URLs? - Page 2 Proto_zps72afcbff
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:18 am

Could we do something like this in "blogger" or "Google Sites"? Both could be mapped to a custom domain. Maybe it still needs to be hosted, I don't know...
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:29 am

I think I found hosting.  It's not playing nice with this retarded browser IT makes me use here at work, but I'll let you know when I get home.  I moved everything back to Publisher because I couldn't figure out how to get your Photoshop file to convert to HTML, so it should be a breeze to get up on the site.  Then we can get around to deciding what we're going to do with those URLs you guys found earlier.

Did some more screwing around, I just kinda plugged some random stuff in here going by memory.  Let me what know you think about format, know how you guys want these to read, if you want a different photo, whatever.  I feel like Ty and I are making all the decisions here, which I'm fine with, but speak up if you don't like it! Smile

Anybody know anything about web sites and URLs? - Page 2 Untitled_zps339304d4
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:44 am

It seems to me we just need to register the url. Godaddy.com is having a sale $1.00 for the first year. Might be $15 a year after that not sure exactly.

It sounds to me like utaht4r.com is the way to go.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:02 am

FYI

Mods, include e-locker front and rear and 315/75r16 TOYO Open Country M/Ts
Occupation, US Synthetic Corp.
Favorite Trails, Driveway to my house!! (Really Strike Ravine and Triple Threat)
Hobbies, Wheeling, Fishing, Wrenching, Farming, Reading about Andrew rescuing Kevin!!
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:02 am

Thardy wrote:It seems to me we just need to register the url. Godaddy.com is having a sale $1.00 for the first year. Might be $15 a year after that  not sure exactly.

It sounds to me like utaht4r.com is the way to go.
That's hosting at GoDaddy, and they throw in the domain name.  If you sign a contract.  And they're the company I was talking about that screwed my friend - they registered the name for themselves and only rented it to him, and then wouldn't give it up when he wanted to move his website.

I'd rather register it through somebody else even if it costs more, and just point it to wherever we end up hosting.  If we can do that, I mean.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:14 am

Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:15 am

Thardy wrote:FYI

Mods, include e-locker front and rear and 315/75r16 TOYO Open Country M/Ts
Occupation, US Synthetic Corp.
Favorite Trails, Driveway to my house!!  (Really Strike Ravine and Triple Threat)
Hobbies, Wheeling, Fishing, Wrenching, Farming, Reading Dr. Seuss books!!
Got it.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:16 am

also looks like they host for 1.95 a month. I don't know if that's good or not
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:20 am

I love reading Dr. Seuss books! .
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:57 am

I don't know if you were already planning this or not, but I think you should link each of the club members pictures to their build thread.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum