Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wendover to St. George on dirt

+2
DesertTE
offroad_medic
6 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Wendover to St. George on dirt - Page 4 Empty Re: Wendover to St. George on dirt

Post by Kevin Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:12 am

Well, when did you want to leave? I was assuming we'd be on the road Wednesday morning, which would put us at the Wedge by noon or one with tons of time to kill. I was thinking we could make it down Buckhorn Draw and across I70 before we made camp. If you need to leave later, the Wedge makes more sense.

Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Wendover to St. George on dirt - Page 4 Empty Re: Wendover to St. George on dirt

Post by Kevin Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:11 am

Ok, idea.  Start at the Wedge, come down Buckhorn Draw, cross I70 and cross Taylor Flat.  Screw around at Tomsich Butte, then head east to Temple Mountain.  Pop out at Goblin Valley then gas in Hanksville, then west to Capitol Reef and come up Cathedral Valley Road or Hartnet Road (I'd prefer Hartnet, but whichever).  Get to the top of Capitol Reef and keep north, cross Mussentuchit Flat and take Willow Springs Wash to Cat Canyon.  Cat Canyon to the Copper Globe mine, and then home in time to go to the ham swap meet at the David County Fairgrounds this Saturday night.  How's that sound?

On edit, that's not enough miles.  Here, try this - from Caineville we go south instead of north, down Notom-Bullfrog road to the Burr Trail, then take the Wolverine Canyon/Little Death Valley loop, I've got a score to settle with that road.  Back up to the Burr Trail and we pop out at Boulder, up pavement to Hwy 24 and gas in Torrey, THEN we shoot into Cathedral Valley and up to Copper Globe.  That's 416 miles, says google.  That's a damned trip.  That's a proper birthday party.  Whaddaya think?

https://goo.gl/maps/1SQbKEEoieG2
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 am

Fine with me, I'm good to depart whenever tomorrow.\

You have that in KMZ flavor? I can't seem to get it to transfer
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:36 am

I don't.  I think there's a tool to convert it, I'll see if I can figure it out when I'm back in front of a computer.

edit - nope. If I could figure a way to export it to Google Earth I could convert it to any format we wanted, but I don't see any way to do that. If I get REALLY bored tonight I might try to recreate it and build a track, but since Google Earth doesn't have routable roads that would take forever so don't hold your breath.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Kevin wrote:... down Notom-Bullfrog road to the Burr Trail, then take the Wolverine Canyon/Little Death Valley loop, I've got a score to settle with that road.  

I believe I have a part of that score as well bounce

So... trying to follow along, and with my schedule, where does that put you camping Thursday night? And/or starting out Friday, even by Friday lunchtime?
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Bennamin wrote:
Kevin wrote:... down Notom-Bullfrog road to the Burr Trail, then take the Wolverine Canyon/Little Death Valley loop, I've got a score to settle with that road.  

I believe I have a part of that score as well bounce

So... trying to follow along, and with my schedule, where does that put you camping Thursday night? And/or starting out Friday, even by Friday lunchtime?

So tomorrow night we'll be somewhere outside Goblin Valley. We could make it easy for you to find us Thursday and camp at the same place outside Boulder we camped last time, next to the air strip. Friday night we'll be at Copper Globe, also super to find.

It won't be so easy to find us between Boulder and Copper Globe though. If that's what you want to do, you pick a time and I'll pick a place and we'll set a hard rendezvous.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:35 pm

When do you want to head out, I think i'd prefer not too early since my body isn't accustom early rising
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 am

TRD270 wrote:When do you want to head out, I think i'd prefer not too early since my body isn't accustom early rising

You tell me, I'm easy.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:17 am

TRD270 wrote:Fine with me, I'm good to depart whenever tomorrow.\

You have that in KMZ flavor? I can't seem to get it to transfer

I forget if you're an Android or iGuy, but I opened that link in the Google Maps app and hit the "download offline areas". It's not a proper GPS track, but maybe it'll work for you?

I don't normally use GPS tracks so I'm not used to needing to build one. I should look into that.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:07 am

Uh... Due to unforeseen circumstances. Bullshit, they were seen, but I was doing what I thought might lead up to an open weekend.
I'm out. Sorry. You guys be safe!
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4