Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ben's 2nd Gen '95

+2
Kevin
Bennamin
6 posters

Go down

Ben's 2nd Gen '95 Empty Ben's 2nd Gen '95

Post by Bennamin Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:47 pm

Sorry, I took a wayward path to get here. But, I figured I should get this thread started if I wanna hang out some time, right?

I have always wanted a 4Runner. After a couple of trips to Moab last year in my '06 F150, I figured it was time to hit up a friend of mine that has a tow company to see if he had any 'projects' that I might want to start working on. And so, I became the owner of a 1992 3.0 4WD Auto 4Runner, Grey with Blue interior. I would post a pic, but for some reason I'm technilogically challenged at the moment, I guess.

I paid $500 for it. It wouldn't run. Had an AutoZone battery. I have been a Napa store manager, so that kinda bugged me, but after trickle charging that battery, it would turn over the engine, and still is to this day. Cranked, but no start, and found the fuel pump was lacking. Dropped the tank, replaced the pump, and she started right up... with a hell of an idle problem. Which was fixed when I realized I'd left off a breather tube when I shot starting fluid into the intake. Next I decided to go after oil leaks, and pulled off the valve covers to reseal. While there, changed spark plugs and PCV. Filters and oil next. And then found a coolant leak in the radiator. New radiator, belts, hoses... Found an oil leak coming from the oil cooler on the side of the engine, so decided to get that done while the coolant was out for the radiator. Talk about a pain, and a bunch of brown gunk! And it seemed kinda weird that the new radiator was so much lighter than the old one... oh, and there is supposed to be a thermostat in the thermostat housing?  Very Happy That was a fun day! All back together with no leaks, and no overheating, so went to get temp plates to do inspection and emissions, and the next day it passed both! Went back for real plates, just in time to lose the tranny. Evidently there is a direct drive drum in the transfer case that slips after 200K miles and that's what happened to me. Oh yeah... 275K miles on this thing. So, $300 later for a tranny from Duane's in Orem, swapped it in, and it seems to be a keeper!

I've removed the side running boards. Replaced the driver's seat bottom cushion with a passenger's from the wrecking yard. I've installed a Kenwood deck. And basically cleaned it from top to bottom. Oh yeah, replaced the whole sunroof--the stock one was spider-web cracked and wouldn't operate. Replaced inner and outer tie rods, steering stabilizer. Seems to be a good driver. This past Sunday the wife and I went on an 'adventure', driving down to Eureka and following a few dirt roads in and out of the hills. Never skipped a beat!

So, planning on installing a CB soon (before I try to tag along on any rides with UDRT4R or any friends) and driving it to work out any more bugs. I really don't know what mods will come along. I'm kinda a stock guy, happy to explore a lot of area but not worried yet about those spots only certain rigs can get to.

Glad to be here on the forum! I'm watching it all the time. I'm trying to see if I can work out a way to come along on the 2nd quarter run, at least Thursday night to Friday.

And I'll post a pic when I can figure out a way it will let me Sad
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Ben's 2nd Gen '95 Empty Re: Ben's 2nd Gen '95

Post by Kevin Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:11 am

Posting pics is a little weird on this board, here's a sticky I just scribbled up, lemme know if it helps: https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com/t532-how-to-post-pics

Sounds like you had a lot of fun getting that truck running! Don't let lack of CB stop you from joining us on a trip, they're nice to have but not necessary, and I normally have a loaner along too. Let us know what else we can do to help get your truck dirty. Very Happy
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:38 am

Let's see if this works...

This was outside of Eureka this past Sunday.

Ben's 2nd Gen '95 April_10
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Wow, what a long summer! All this time I've been working so hard on my... wife's new patio and pergola in the back yard Sad all while the 4runner is sitting with one head off and one still on. Oh well! I have a very happy and grateful girl now. So, got back under the hood this weekend, and what did I find?

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19205326/4]Ben's 2nd Gen '95 Img_0711

So, the story: Memorial Day weekend, and all was well. I had everything about buttoned up that I had been working on to be ready for a trip. I decided I needed to get up some hill somewhere, and my buddy wasn't available to go out to 5 mile, so I went up and over Butterfield Canyon / Middle Canyon, and came back around on I-80 to home. No problem. That was Saturday. Sunday morning, the wife was feeling like she had a cold and wanted a Jamba Juice. Headed on over into Taylorsville, and about the time we got there, it was acting a little funny. Wouldn't idle real well. We walked inside, and after ordering, I looked back out... a little white puff from the tailpipe. Evil or Very Mad I went out and started it up, and promptly fumigated the whole parkinglot for mosquito's! Towed her home, and that's that.

I'm thinking it'll be all good, because of the way it went out and I didn't continue to run it. But, heads are going to the shop, and I'm going to check the block once I get it all cleaned up. New gasket set, new timing belt set/water pump. I've replaced the seals on the oil cooler, but while everything is out of the way I'm going to pull it off again and replace seals and hoses. New pigtail for the knock sensor. What else...

I figure that now, after all the work I've done to the trans and the engine, I should be good for a bit and be able to play! (Now=when I'm actually done reassembling Very Happy )
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Wow, what an odyssey.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:06 pm

Heads are ready to go back on!
Ben's 2nd Gen '95 Img_0710
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:48 am

Shiny!
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:30 pm

And now it's time to say goodbye...
https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2883508
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:37 pm

Rut row.... whats the plan now?
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Got it!
New project is a 1995 with a blown head gasket. Needs some TLC, but not in bad shape. Decent tread life left in BFG A/T's and this one's a stick.
Now to get the heads done and get it back on the road!
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:25 pm

You'll like the five speed so much better.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:51 am

Heads are at Pro Machine, and parts are on the way! Time to get excited!!

Or... time to get busy with all the other things going on and shelve everything for a few weeks. You know, that life thing that gets in the way... Rolling Eyes
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:53 am

Tell me about it. Five kabillion* things I'd rather be doing and I've got the top end of the F150 off for a busted intake manifold. ****ing Ford and their stupid plastic parts....

*you heard me
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:33 am

I think I'd rather do the intake than the right side exhaust manifold I replaced on mine last month. That was fun!

BTW... I don't see a way to change the name of this thread. Should I start a new one for my '95?
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:56 pm

Bennamin wrote:I think I'd rather do the intake than the right side exhaust manifold I replaced on mine last month. That was fun!

BTW... I don't see a way to change the name of this thread. Should I start a new one for my '95?

Title changed!!

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:35 pm

dutchman wrote:
Bennamin wrote:I think I'd rather do the intake than the right side exhaust manifold I replaced on mine last month. That was fun!

Title changed!!

Awesome!! Very Happy
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:14 pm

It's alive!! I just changed my avatar pic to the '95, which is now legal and on the road Very Happy A few months, about 46 hours of labor, little more than $800 in parts and supplies, and I'm ready to go find some better places for some pictures!!
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:52 am

Nice.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by jwallace98 Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:51 am

Awesome.
jwallace98
jwallace98

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:23 pm

...aaaaaannnd that's all, folks! She's sold!

What will I think of next. Hmmm...
Bennamin
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:46 pm

You're as bad as me
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:24 pm