Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plasti-dip

+6
thearkmaster
100%NewZealand
Kedds
Kevin
Ty
offroad_medic
10 posters

Go down

Plasti-dip Empty Plasti-dip

Post by offroad_medic Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:43 am

Hey any of you guys have any experience using plastidip and if so what are your thoughts on it? I've been thinking about getting some to do my wife's rims black and maybe the badging too. I also thought about using it on my rims but I think it would just get trashed offroad and scratch off.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Plasti-dip Empty Re: Plasti-dip

Post by Ty Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:46 am

I've never used Plast dip bit have had really good luck with just a good self etching primer and black paint. I think they've held up for Kevin to since I sold then to him. Check out my build thread linked in my sig for some good pics.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 am

I've also had good luck with the self-etching primer, my only worry is that my wife won't like her rims being black so with the plasti dip it can be peeled off pretty clean with some moderate effort. I'm just on stock runner chromes and would like some new rims its just that rattle can is a lot cheaper. Haha
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:04 am

I've heard a lot of good things about the plastidip. What is the rig your putting it on?
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 am

Initially an '04 Acura TL and then if it looks good and holds up I may consider doing my runner.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:17 am

Thardy wrote:I've never used Plast dip bit have had really good luck with just a good self etching primer and black paint. I think they've held up for Kevin to since I sold then to him. Check out my build thread linked in my sig for some good pics.

Those rims have been clobbered, but it ain't the paint jobs fault... Smile
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kedds Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:15 pm

I have used Plasti-dip on my badges, its pretty easy, and its held up good so far. I have even been to the car wash and not had a problem with it. Just make sure you do 3-4 layers, so if you want to peel it off its not as hard to do. You can also paint the plasti-dip once its on if you wanted to.
Kedds
Kedds

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%NewZealand Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:44 am

I plasti dip all day long at my job, the stuff is awesome. For wheels 5 - 6 coats is best, it dries quickly, but I would let it cure for a good week before taking it through a car wash or anything.

100%NewZealand

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:08 pm

How would it hold up to rocks though?  I'm thinking not well.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Offroad scratching is my concern with doing it as well, especially after my impromptu trip to Moab last weekend. After playing in the sandy/rocky dry stream beds, I don't know how well it would hold up. For now I think I'm just going to stick my stock chrome wheels.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by thearkmaster Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Really late on response but I love plasti dip. I did half my subaru. all bardges, grill, wheels, spoiler. My badges and grill/bumper on my runer are done. I'm doing my rims next week. Stuff holds up awesome.
thearkmaster
thearkmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Devin Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:00 am

back when i had a subaru i did the entire thing black with pink rims haha... but the wheels if you hit a rock it will scratch or come off... but thats true with any paint if you really thing about it... curbing isnt going to stop but with plasti dip its alot cheaper and easier to fix the curbage
Devin
Devin

Back to top Go down

Post by oakeeee Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:22 pm

I've done my rims. Took them off and simple green'd the inside and outside and gave them a good scrub. Roughed them up a little with some steel wool and sprayed 5 coats inside and out. Been two months since and they still look good I think. Thinking about doing my front and rear bumper this week. Not a huge chrome fan!
oakeeee
oakeeee

Back to top Go down

Post by Devin Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:59 am

if you do decide to use plasti dip remember to keep brake clean away... it will strip it right off whatever you put it on
Devin
Devin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:11 am

No coating of any sort is going to hold up on the rocks. I've tried spray-in bed liner, paint, plasti-dip, and even powder coating on my bumpers and sliders...as soon as they touch a rock, it's down to bare metal...
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by jlawrey Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Hey guys,
I found your group a few days ago and haven't really had a chance to introduce myself yet. However, I found this thread and figured I'd post a picture and just go ahead and vouch for plasti-dip.
I've got the whole body coated in Tan plasti-dip and it has exceeded my expectations by a ten fold. I'm not very nice to it and I think this picture might help explain a bit.
This photo was taken at 5mile pass on 8-16-14
Cheers and nice to meet everyone!
Jon

Plasti-dip 5mile-5817

jlawrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Devin Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:37 am

Honestly... Wheels are ok to plastidip as well as the badges and random things like that. But I would definitely not recommend doing the full car or anything like that... LOL Personal experience and worst mistake of my life... I did my 06 Subaru WRX and it was a pain to take off when the time came... Not worth it at all.  IMO do the plasti dip for reference to see if you like it. Then if you do I would just paint them honestly. But if anyone needs any help with plasti dipping parts or whatever LMK there are a few tips and tricks I have found from the many times that I have used it and I could definitely come help you out and make sure it goes on smooth and not have drips and everything else in it.
Devin
Devin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum