Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help convince me that my runner is better than a double cab tacoma

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

help convince me that my runner is better than a double cab tacoma Empty help convince me that my runner is better than a double cab tacoma

Post by sixstringsteve Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:06 am

Just got back from a trip to the swell this weekend. The 4runner did awesome but on the way hone I saw a 4door double cab and missed my old one like crazy. Help me see why a 3rd gen runner is better than a 4door taco.

Here are a few things I've really liked about the
runner:

- Way smoother over rough roads
- ability to lock your stuff inside
- seats are more comfy
- more creature comforts
- the ability to sleep in the back assuming you can move all your gear out of the way first

What else?
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

help convince me that my runner is better than a double cab tacoma Empty Re: help convince me that my runner is better than a double cab tacoma

Post by Kevin Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:00 am

Well, your stuff stays dry as well as secure, unless you get a shell or tonneau, which I think are kinda a PITA and take away the one big benefit of having a bed in the first place. And I'm assuming there's a touch more legroom in back of the 4Runner.

Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

help convince me that my runner is better than a double cab tacoma Empty Re: help convince me that my runner is better than a double cab tacoma

Post by dutchman Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:07 pm

Kevin wrote:Well, your stuff stays dry as well as secure, unless you get a shell or tonneau, which I think are kinda a PITA and take away the one big benefit of having a bed in the first place. And I'm assuming there's a touch more legroom in back of the 4Runner.

This.
What year double cab was your older one? All the newer ones I see are lifted way too high and never see the dirt.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:35 pm

My question would be why did you get ride of the double cab in the first place.

As far as the benefit every thing stated and you've already done. The double cab thing. Have the done a third gen yet?
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:37 pm

dutchman wrote:What year double cab was your older one? All the newer ones I see are lifted way too high and never see the dirt.

It was an '01. I loved that rig.

help convince me that my runner is better than a double cab tacoma 14096_387549514746_551984746_4879381_2595538_n

help convince me that my runner is better than a double cab tacoma Taco6

35's, 3" lift, sliders, skids, and it did double whammy, escalator, and still got 18-19 mpg and drove like stock.

Last edited by sixstringsteve on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Thardy wrote:My question would be why did you get ride of the double cab in the first place.

It got totalled and I couldn't afford another one after that. It was probably my favorite rig I've owned (although I love my regular cab too).

Thardy wrote:As far as the benefit every thing stated and you've already done. The double cab thing. Have the done a third gen yet?

Did you mean to say: "You've already done the double cab thing. Have you done a third gen yet?"

I took the 3rd gen on a 600 mile trip this weekend to the swell. It was fun, and it was really nice to fit 4 people and the dog in the rig, but there were a few disadvantages:

1) the gear BARELY fit inside the runner. In order for someone to sleep in the back we had to completely re-pack the truck just to fold the seats up or down

2) I'm convinced that the 4runners aren't quite as beefy as the tacomas. The weak lower links on the rear suspension and the vulnerable gas tank bug me

3) My biggest issue is that in order to fit as much gear as I'd like, I'd need a rear bumper with a swing-away tire carrier and jerry can holders, plus a roof rack for gear. Rear mounted tire carriers suck for daily driving and getting the hatch open. Roof racks suck for mileage and to keep stuff dry.

I love my runner, I just miss certain things about the tacomas. The tacos seem a bit more simple to me, and I like simple.

sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Obviously you need one of each. It's the only logical answer.

Let me know how that goes over with your wife. Very Happy
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 pm

The major downside of a tacoma is the price. They're stupid expensive. I can't afford a 4-door taco, so it doesn't really matter, and I love my 4runner. I just love my old taco more mainly because it could fit more in the bed and it was so dang capable.
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 pm

man, I can't shake these doublecab blues. If you guys know of anyone with a doublecab that would want to trade for my rig, send 'em my way.
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:48 am

I'm no help here. After starting to build my Tundra, I couldn't image life without a truck - this is going to work great on our trips. I'll help with the search - we'll get you into a DC soon, hopefully Very Happy
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:19 am

Sweet, thanks. I hope you guys will still let me be part of the club without a runner.

Here are my requirements.
Doublecab Tacoma
TRD (elocker)
4x4
clean title
3.4L
Automatic (I think all d-cabs were autos)

Nice to haves:
white or black
under 150k miles (not a requirement, but a nice to have)

I'd also be willing to sell my runner for cash so I could buy a taco, so spread the word if you know anyone looking for a MINT runner.
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 am

I've found some DC's with the 2.7L and auto tranny...no clue that was an option. Would you prefer the v6?
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 am

yeah, needs to be the v6.

I'd even take a prerunner TRD if the price was right. I can convert it to 4wd easily enough.
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:28 pm

sixstringsteve wrote:Sweet, thanks. I hope you guys will still let me be part of the club without a runner.

Well, yeah. You just won't be as cool as us, that's all.

What are you going to want for that 4Runner?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Kevin wrote:

$11,500
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:49 pm

sixstringsteve wrote:
Kevin wrote:

$11,500

Lemme check under the cushions. Laughing
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:15 pm

If I can find a d-cab for less, I'll sell it for less.
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Found a doublecab I like:

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/167791

I may swing by and check it out tonight.
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Nice! And that bed looks longer than the one you had in your '01!
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Idaho plates in Provo...probably a starving college student - I bet you can give him $8k plus Top Ramen... Laughing
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:27 pm

My thoughts exactly. I dig idaho rigs, no salt=no rust. Keep your fingers crossed for me, I hope it's still around by 6pm tonight. If I can get it for $8k, I'll be driving it home tonight.
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

That's actually a really good price for a doublecab TRD! I wish I had the bucks, I'd race ya. Smile
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 pm

I've gotta work 'till 5, there's no way it'll still be available by then.
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by sixstringsteve Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:58 pm

It's gone. Sold already. Man, people must just click "refresh" on KSL all day, have cash in hand, and leave immediately. These rigs sell in less than 2 hours.

How can a guy with a full-time job compete with that?
sixstringsteve
sixstringsteve
Tech Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:25 pm

That sucks.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next