Dodge Ecodiesel a cheating lying no-good very bad engine?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dodge Ecodiesel a cheating lying no-good very bad engine?

Post by Kevin on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:44 pm

The EPA is alleging that Fiat-Chrysler is playing Volkswagen style games with the emissions controls on the Ecodiesel.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-notifies-fiat-chrysler-clean-air-act-violations

Fiat-Chrysler CEO calls bullshit, and says the emissions controls are intended to prevent damage to the motor and not to get around emissions testing, so they weren't required to be disclosed.

http://jalopnik.com/fiat-chrysler-boss-says-it-s-hogwash-to-think-they-ch-1791124641

Sounds like they're going to have themselves a fight over what the definition of "is" is.

Kevin
Badmin

http://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dodge Ecodiesel a cheating lying no-good very bad engine?

Post by TRD270 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Like I said on RME, if the EPA is going to give them grief over this, they better ban all aftermarket programmers as well

Kevin wrote:Stay hard

Josh wrote:That's what she said
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:29 am

I'm not sure where I stand on this or the VW issue. Part of me thinks the EPA and CARB are a load of crap. The other part sees that the more efficient, more powerful engines we're getting are a result of the increase EPA/CARB regulations. I can't say that I'm surprised F*at-Chr*slyer is being investigated after the VW incident. I do think that the VW was done more or less on purpose and VW had a plan for if/when they got caught.

Simple solution: Drive gas not diesel Cool

Ty wrote:The rear end is super easy  I could do it my self while some others do the front end.
dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:44 am

I'm all about cleaner air and leaving more oil in the ground, but I wonder if we're going about it all wrong. I think between EPA/CARB standards and safety regulations it's damned hard to build an affordable vehicle that people want to drive anymore. I assume that all the manufacturers are cheating to some extent or another.

Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:50 am

Kevin wrote: safety regulations it's damned hard to build an affordable vehicle that people want to drive anymore..

This is why vehicles today all look the same.

Ty wrote:The rear end is super easy  I could do it my self while some others do the front end.
dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:23 am

I don't care about any of this. I average 24 MPG in a 1/2 ton pickup. Win for me.

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:31 am

Andrew wrote:I don't care about any of this.  I average 24 MPG in a 1/2 ton pickup.  Win for me.

I'm with you. I'd consider it a win.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:52 pm

I know that the new F-150's are coming stock with a twin turbo 2.7 EcoBoost engine that rocks. And that wouldn't happen without the crap from the government. Not that I love the g-ment... but the new technology is pretty cool! When a V6 can pull a trailer, and beat a V8, that's pretty awesome. https://youtu.be/-n2uEx8CojE

I want a new Raptor!
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:56 pm

The 2018 F-150's are coming with a V6 Power Stroke diesel...we'll see if they come under the same scrutiny as International automakers have...

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/08/2018-ford-f-150-power-stroke-details/

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:04 pm

Bennamin wrote: https://youtu.be/-n2uEx8CojE

Unfair comparison. The Ecodiesel has 240 hp and 420 lb.-ft torque compared to the TWIN TURBO 2.7L EcoBoost @ 325 hp 375 lb.-ft. Put a 2nd turbo on the Ecodiesel to make things comparable to the EcoBoost and the numbers go up to 400 hp and 600 lb.-ft torque...then we'll see who wins the "race." Wink Oh, and the Ecodiesel will still get 25+ MPG. What's the EcoBoob at? 13MPG? Hehehehe cheers

I do admit, though...my ED feels gutless at times and I know I can EASILY wake it up with a simple tune and emissions "delete..." Just have to wait until I'm out of warranty...

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Emission restrictions are a bit unfair, I'm pretty sure I could eat off the tail pipe of my 2014 cummins, while the tail pipe of my 2015 ecoboost looks closer to the tail pipe of my 96 12v cummins

Also i'm starting to lose faith in the F*rd again. We are having a lot of problems with our trucks. Check engine lights all around, electrical issues (now this could be due to the crap install job of other equipment) transmission issues, one had to be replaced with less than 20k. Lots of issues with 4wd systems as well, i'm terrified my front end is going to lock up at speed cruising down the canyon from all the noise it makes, not to mention I think its in 4wd then 2 miles down the road it sounds like a grenade went off when my front hub finally decides to kick in. Ecoboost is a fun motor, but i'm losing faith in its longevity. Now I know we aren't exactly easy on our trucks, but i'd say something in construction or oil fields would have an even worse life. Almost all these issues are sub 40k miles

Kevin wrote:Stay hard

Josh wrote:That's what she said
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:06 pm

And here my little 5.4l is chugging along at 250,000 miles with no major trouble. Very Happy

Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:22 pm

TRD270 wrote:Emission restrictions are a bit unfair, I'm pretty sure I could eat off the tail pipe of my 2014 cummins, while the tail pipe of my 2015 ecoboost looks closer to the tail pipe of my 96 12v cummins

Also i'm starting to lose faith in the F*rd again. We are having a lot of problems with our trucks. Check engine lights all around, electrical issues (now this could be due to the crap install job of other equipment) transmission issues, one had to be replaced with less than 20k. Lots of issues with 4wd systems as well, i'm terrified my front end is going to lock up at speed cruising down the canyon from all the noise it makes, not to mention I think its in 4wd then 2 miles down the road it sounds like a grenade went off when my front hub finally decides to kick in. Ecoboost is a fun motor, but i'm losing faith in its longevity. Now I know we aren't exactly easy on our trucks, but i'd say something in construction or oil fields would have an even worse life. Almost all these issues are sub 40k miles

I've got an all-ford fleet for the city. Other than some re-gen issues on my 6.7 (because it's never run up over 45 mph, or more than stop/go) I haven't really had many issues. If anything, I'm sending stuff in for the recalls more than anything else. I have a dealer that comes over, picks up the vehicles, takes them to repair, and brings them back. I feel bad I'm giving them the shaft all the time on recalls that don't pay anything.
We had one F-150 with the hub issue. Sounded completely awful. But after the dealer replaced the hub, and then replaced the hub a second time, no more problems. And I've never had any of my patrol units show that. One or two electrical issues, that's about it. HOWEVER... I have only a few ecoboost, and my patrol trucks are all 5.0's up and through this year. So, I can't say I've got enough experience with the ecoboost to talk much.
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Andrew wrote:
Bennamin wrote: https://youtu.be/-n2uEx8CojE

Unfair comparison.  

Maybe unfair as far as non-similar equipment, but that's the stock offering of each brand.
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic on Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:40 pm

F-150 EcoBoost motors are only able to get as good of gas mileage as they do because they scrapped their steel body panes for aluminum to reduce weight it has to toe around. When they get wrecked they cannot be repaired and must be replaced by their specialized body shop. Ask my coworkers how I know that. Also the aluminum fails miserably compared to mailboxes. And the mailbox was entirely unharmed.
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:58 am

offroad_medic wrote:F-150 EcoBoost motors are only able to get as good of gas mileage as they do because they scrapped their steel body panes for aluminum to reduce weight it has to toe around. When they get wrecked they cannot be repaired and must be replaced by their specialized body shop. Ask my coworkers how I know that. Also the aluminum fails miserably compared to mailboxes. And the mailbox was entirely unharmed.

Sounds like the making of a good tale!
Are you guys running trucks now for DCSO? I thought you guys were Tahoe's forever.
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:08 am

Bennamin wrote:
offroad_medic wrote:F-150 EcoBoost motors are only able to get as good of gas mileage as they do because they scrapped their steel body panes for aluminum to reduce weight it has to toe around. When they get wrecked they cannot be repaired and must be replaced by their specialized body shop. Ask my coworkers how I know that. Also the aluminum fails miserably compared to mailboxes. And the mailbox was entirely unharmed.

Are you guys running trucks now for DCSO? I thought you guys were Tahoe's forever.

K9's are switching over to pickups from SUV's. After the mailbox incident the sheriff said no more Fords and is ordering a Silverado for the new truck this year. After that truck is done then mine will be the last white vehicle in the patrol fleet and I'm actually requesting a K9 Tahoe and the Sheriff said he was cool with that if I wanted that over a pickup.
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:03 am

TRD270 wrote:Emission restrictions are a bit unfair, I'm pretty sure I could eat off the tail pipe of my 2014 cummins, while the tail pipe of my 2015 ecoboost looks closer to the tail pipe of my 96 12v cummins

I think yours and other LEO reviews are worth the read. You guys do beat the hell out of your trucks/cars. If any give vehicle can take a couple years of police abuse, it should have no trouble with anything I throw at it. It'd be interesting to know if the big 3 listen to feedback from LEOs.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:23 am

I would like to congratulate Kevin for creating a thread that has brought us all together again... Razz

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:49 am

Kevin Rules

Nothing better than a good fight about trucks to get everybody posting again. Very Happy

Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennamin on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:00 am

offroad_medic wrote:
Bennamin wrote:

K9's are switching over to pickups from SUV's. After the mailbox incident the sheriff said no more Fords and is ordering a Silverado for the new truck this year. After that truck is done then mine will be the last white vehicle in the patrol fleet and I'm actually requesting a K9 Tahoe and the Sheriff said he was cool with that if I wanted that over a pickup.

We've got the K9's in the F150's, and they'll be there for a couple more years. This year one of the POP units is trying an Explorer for a K9 unit. Let's see how that goes. But basically, in the future, it'll be all Interceptor SUV's and F150's for patrol. Unmarked are probably going to be Toyota units.
Bennamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Fri May 19, 2017 2:35 pm

FCA files diesel software fix in effort to resolve U.S. emissions issues

http://driving.ca/jeep/grand-cherokee/auto-news/news/fca-files-diesel-fix-in-effort-to-resolve-u-s-emissions-issues

Well, there goes my fuel mileage!

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Sun May 21, 2017 2:23 pm

Andrew wrote:Well, there goes my fuel mileage!

Cheaters never win.  You better have a talk with your bishop. Twisted Evil

Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty on Mon May 22, 2017 5:12 am

Kevin wrote:I'm all about cleaner air and leaving more oil in the ground

I'm not okay with this.. BURN MORE OIL, KEEP DRILLING, KEEP ME EMPLOYED!!

Just figured since everyone else was posting I would too! I have no experience with with either motor, but I've always been a Ford guy and everyone else I know with the Ecoboost loves them. However, I'm not sure how they use them is considered a fair assessment.

T4R.org
"All that us 3rd gen owners have is our rear window. I guess we could wheel with them down and call it "plumber's crack"."
BigFishAllDay
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Mon May 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Ty wrote:...but I've always been a Ford guy and everyone else I know with the Ecoboost loves them.

I'm curious to see how well the new 3.0 Powerstroke does in the 2018 F-150...

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum