Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newfoundland Mountains in December

5 posters

Go down

Newfoundland Mountains in December Empty Newfoundland Mountains in December

Post by Kevin Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:56 am

FYTO 2016 was fun in a masochistic sort of way, but apparently it wasn't quite cold enough because I wanted more.  With a hankering for more dirt church, and knowing I needed to get out to the Newfoundland Mountains in the near future, my course was clear.  Joined by Ben from the DesertRunners club, John/LFNTMS from ExpUt, and several gents from the Microlander Overland Facebook group, we made for the desert and the cold and had a great couple days.

We came in via Lakeside, and I know we were spotted crossing the tracks by a nearby idling train but were given no grief.  The trip across the causeway was quick and painless.  Arriving at the mountains, we had the pleasure of making fresh tracks everywhere we went that first day.  There was much less snow than we expected, no more than a couple inches at the lower elevations, and we got to explore several sites on the west side of the mountains and spotted lots more at higher elevations that we'll want to revisit in warmer temps.  We rounded out the day with a short hike up to Stone Cabin, and then made camp in the flat and enjoyed a windless evening before heading for bed around 0830 or 0900.  The forecast had been for overcast skies and a low of fifteen, but the complete lack of clouds took the actual temps much lower than that.  My Cabelas -30 bag and Nemo insulated air pad didn't want to hear about that though, and the only way I knew it was cold was from the snow falling inside my tent every time I bumped the wall.

Day two dawned foggy and cold, and we all hid in our bags as long as possible before rolling out.  A big fire with the last of our wood helped keep us thawed as we packed up, and then we rolled out for the east side of the mountains and more exploring.  The snow was a little deeper on this side, and again we had to leave some higher elevation sites for the next trip.  We wrapped up at the mines in Dell Canyon around 1230, and with gas in the tank and time on the clock we decided to exit north through the Hogups.

Our trip out was probably the most adventure we had all trip.  The snow got significantly deeper as we crossed the south pass, and though the tracks of previous travelers helped keep us in the vicinity of the road, we still spent several hours busting drifts and riding ruts on our way north.  I found myself wishing for 35s on the pickup several times, although the Cooper ST Maxx tires at 25 PSI didn't let me down and the recovery straps stayed dry in their box.  We didn't make much better time once we cleared the Hogups, as the TCRR was clogged with hunters sweeping the brush for rabbits.  The sun was setting before we finally reached the gas stations at Corinne, fueled up on coffee and gas, and said our goodbyes.  Everybody had a great trip, and I'm having a hard time thinking of a better way to send off 2016.

Airing down on the causeway:
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161210

I feel like I don't want to cross here in April:
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161211

Old metal has stories to tell:
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161212

Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161213

Anybody know what's going on with this?  Do I see a two speed diff and air locker?
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161214

Some sort of truck converted to a hoist trailer.  The rear axle had a removable third, but they'd torched off the nose of the pinion and welded a plug in it.  Weird.
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161215

We had a hard time shaking the fog the second day:
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161217

With all the bullet holes, we expected to find the bones of an unfortunate gangster in the front seat:
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161216

Almost a restoration candidate:
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161219

Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161220

Another air locker?  No reduction-case-looking box on the front of this one though:
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161218

Above the fog for a minute, but more is rolling up the canyon:
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161221

If Bub owned a dump truck:
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161222

I love this bumper.  I want one.
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161223

The long slog home:
Newfoundland Mountains in December 20161225
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Newfoundland Mountains in December Empty Re: Newfoundland Mountains in December

Post by os1rfw Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:42 am

Wish I could have made it. Not sure if you were questioning the diff lock and 2 speed rear end or not, but if you were, semi's and many straight trucks have air lockers. Tandem axles may also have an inter-axle lock (a few 3rd axles were dummy axles-no drive to them). 2 speed rear diffs are out dated, but an 82 Ford L8000 I drove had one. It had an 8 speed trans with a spilt diff, making it a 16 speed. I hope you were looking for the info.

os1rfw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:02 pm

Looks like fun, wish I didn't have so much crap going on
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:04 am

I had to dig my 4runner out of snow yesterday, does that count as winter wheeling?

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKay Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:05 pm

I had to put my 4runner in 4 wheel drive as I towed a snowmobile trailer on the freeway late last night through 4 inches of snow. Does that count? I watched probably 10 accidents along the way.
MacKay
MacKay

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:50 am

os1rfw wrote:Wish I could have made it. Not sure if you were questioning the diff lock and 2 speed rear end or not, but if you were, semi's and many straight trucks have air lockers. Tandem axles may also have an inter-axle lock (a few 3rd axles were dummy axles-no drive to them). 2 speed rear diffs are out dated, but an 82 Ford L8000 I drove had one. It had an 8 speed trans with a spilt diff, making it a 16 speed. I hope you were looking for the info.

That's cool info.

dutchman wrote:I had to dig my 4runner out of snow yesterday, does that count as winter wheeling?

MacKay wrote:I had to put my 4runner in 4 wheel drive as I towed a snowmobile trailer on the freeway late last night through 4 inches of snow. Does that count? I watched probably 10 accidents along the way.

You two are in dire need of a dirt intervention.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down