Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camping food/meals

4 posters

Go down

Camping food/meals Empty Camping food/meals

Post by dutchman Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:10 pm

Those of you who camp fairly frequently, what are your favorite/easiest/best tasting/most filling/etc. camping meals?

I want/need to start camping more. When I do I tend to leave a lot lacking in the food department and with my daughter getting older I'd like to bring her with me on trips, thus food will be even more important. So, I'm asking for food/meal recommendations from you camping pros.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Camping food/meals Empty Re: Camping food/meals

Post by Kevin Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Haha, food! I like food.

Quick simple and filling are what I aim for when I'm camping.  I don't like to waste time with a lot of prep or cook time in camp, I don't want to screw around with cleaning dishes after if I can help it, and I don't like to eat and be hungry again an hour later.  I like brats, pie iron sandwiches, shepherds pie, salad in a bag, whatever is fast and easy.  If I know I'll be setting up in the dark I'll even resort to dehydrated backpackers food or freezer bag cooking.  If I'm in the mood for something more involved, I'll do as much of the prep work at home as I can, so when it's dinner time I heat and eat.

Breakfast tends to be a cup of yogurt with a granola bar for a spoon - super quick, no dishes, eat and pack and go.  Breakfast burritos are good, cook the eggs/bacon/sausage/whatever at home and bring it in a tupperware.  Heat it up and throw it in a tortilla with some salsa and cheese, super quick cooking and super easy cleanup.

Lunch doesn't get cooked.  I'll make sandwiches or wraps ahead of time and stash them in the truck or backpack.  If I don't feel like doing that I'll just grab a piece of fruit and a roll of summer sausage or pouch of tuna, maybe some vegetable sticks or crackers, whatever packs well and eats quick.

There's generally a little more time for dinner, but I still don't like to get too involved because time spend cooking and cleaning is not time spent sitting on my ass at the campfire bullshitting.  Burritos are good, again do all your prep at home and bring your stuff in ziplocs or tupperware.  Brats over the fire are super simple, stick a can of chili or soup in the coals at the edge of the fire and it'll be hot when your brat is cooked.  Pie iron cooking can be simple too, I'm learning more and more fun stuff to make but grilled cheese sammiches are stupid easy and very tasty.  Add some pepperoni or cooked bacon to make sure you get the full effect of the subsequent heart attack.  Baked potatoes in the fire are quick if you cook them beforehand and just need to heat them up - add a can of chili or broccoli and cheese or whatever floats your boat.  Hobo dinners are good, you can do them in tin foil in the fire or throw them in a dutch oven if you want a better chance of not burning the shit out of them.  Shepherds pie is a family favorite, instant potatoes plus ground beef plus a can of green beans or mixed veg or whatever and dinners' cooked in five minutes.  Salad in a baggy is easy too, lettuce and tomato and cucumber and whatever else in a medium ziploc, when it's dinner time pour some dressing on the top and eat straight out of the bag.

Spend an hour or two on the internet and you'll get some awesome ideas. Here's a couple links to get you started:
http://sectionhiker.com/freezer_bag_cooking/
http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/pie-iron.html

Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:58 am

I'm all about food when camping, but I'm on the opposite side as Kevin. When I grew up camping was as much about the food as anything. I like a good breakfast either dutch oven or griddle, lunch I like cold sandwiches, and dinner dutch oven or something over the fire. I don't have a problem with a LITTLE clean up, but I, like Kevin, do as much prep at home as possible. I know Kevin likes the exploration more than the actual camping. I like the company and campfire time, then the exploration. I don't worry about packing light.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vitruvius Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:24 pm

I don't mind cooking while camping, but it really depends on how long I am going to be out there or who I am with.  
Here are a few options, new things I have tried over the last few years:

Breakfast.

Baggie omelets - pretty much an omelet in a plastic zip-lock bag.  These aren't my favorite things to make so if i am out on a camping trip that lasts more then a few days this will make the menu.  All you gotta do is crack a few eggs into a plastic bag, add your favorite ingredients to the bag and place in boiling water for a few minutes.  These require minimal clean up.  You eat them out of the bag.

Favorite breakfast is pancakes, eggs, and bacon.  But this does require some clean up.  If I am out by myself, there is no way this makes the menu, but if I am with my wife and kids - I gotta do it for them.

Lunch:

Typically lunch doesn't happen at camp, so it's gotta be something I can throw in a day pack or small cooler. Sandwiches are typically on the menu.  Recently I have found the convenient pre-made 'Uncrustables' very handy.  My boys love them and we typically only use these on hikes and things out of the camp site.  One thing I do recommend if you are with inexperienced or young hikers is to bring something along that will help with low blood sugar or low energy levels.  I have found taking a package of 'Gatorade Chews' very helpful and motivating for those hikers that struggle.  I am sure there are similar options out there.  

Dinner

Dinner really is important to me when i am out camping.  As Kevin mentioned, tinfoil dinners or hobo dinners are great and really just require some prep time at home.  I will typically only use a tinfoil dinner for the first night out camping since I like to pre-make these and they really don't want to sit in your cooler for a few days.

Dutch oven cooking is where its at for dinner time.  find a few recipes that sound tasty and try them out when you go camping soon you will find a few favorites that will make the menu every time you go out.

Another option is grilled chicken wings.

IMG_0329

IMG_0330

These are super tasty and pretty simple to make.  Buy a bag of frozen wings from Costco.  when the time comes to eat and prepare these, just throw in some type of acid or marinade into the bag of wings. make sure everything is coated evenly and let sit for a bit.  throw on a grill and baste with your favorite sauces.
Vitruvius
Vitruvius
PHOTO KING

http://5-degrees.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Those wings looks good!

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:23 pm

I've started packing pancake batter in a shaker bottle and I just leave it in my grub box. Easy to mix if I get a hankering, and easy to clean too.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:11 am

Kevin wrote:I've started packing pancake batter in a shaker bottle and I just leave it in my grub box.  Easy to mix if I get a hankering, and easy to clean too.

I like that idea. I know this sounds lame, but check out Pinterest. TONS of ideas on there, not just gay craft stuff.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down