Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is buying tires so ****ing hard?

+4
Ty
TRD270
dutchman
Kevin
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why is buying tires so ****ing hard? Empty Why is buying tires so ****ing hard?

Post by Kevin Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:30 am

This is agonizing. I can't stand it. I'm going to shoot myself in the head.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Why is buying tires so ****ing hard? Empty Re: Why is buying tires so ****ing hard?

Post by dutchman Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:41 am

Yeah tires are far from my favorite purchase. Which tires and sizes are you considering?

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Why is buying tires so ****ing hard? Empty Re: Why is buying tires so ****ing hard?

Post by Kevin Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:18 am

34x10.5r17 BFG AT KO2.  These are growing on me.  If they weren't load range D, they'd be my top pick, super spendy though.  Probably no way the wife will let me spend that much.

255/80r17 BFG KM2.  Too much tire for what I keep telling myself I'm going to use the truck for.  Probably what I'll default to if I can't make up my mind in the next couple days.

255/80r17 Cooper ST Maxx.  I've been wanting a set of these tires since I bought the truck, and now that it's come time I can't pull the trigger.  It's a petty stupid thing and I'm ashamed, but I don't like the tread design, I don't like the sidewall, I don't know if I can look at this tire on my truck for three years.  

285/70r17 Cooper ATPs.  I like these.  They're not quite as tall and a little wider than I'd like, but the price is right, and they're a much better looking tire than the ST Maxx.  They don't have that TEK sidewall though...

285/70r17 Gladiator QR800 ATs.  Found them on KSL while scanning for a deal on used stuff.  Says they're made in the Goodyear plant of Goodyear rubber.  Yeah, so are the Wrangler Authorities that WalMart sells, and those suck ass.  The price is right though, $650 a set.

I don't have anything else on my radar right now.  I think this is enough. Mad
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Buying tires sucks because they are stupid expensive these days and have a drastic effect on your rig if you choose wrong. I'm playing it safe and saving my pennies for the KO2, I don't see myself needing anything more aggressive than that.
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:16 pm

I really liked my Cooper ATPs I had on my 3rd gen, other than them running a bit small. So far so good on my Cooper ST Maxxs, I don't mind the side wall it looks tough in my opinion.

If the KO2s are growing on you, just wait and save the coin. Do you want to jump to 34" though?

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:31 pm

I absolutely do, but I'm sure I'd want to regear.  And I can't wait and save up, I'm driving on one damaged sidewall with no spare.

You haven't had your ST Maxx in the snow, have you?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:46 pm

I had them in the snow on I-80 when we had that big storm right before New Years.  They handled that snow just fine.  I have not had them in deep snow or in snow off pavement.

If you had 6 lug wheels I've got a spare set of tires and wheels in the garage that could get you by for a bit.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:10 pm

If I had six lug wheels I'd be wearing my KM2s already. I thought really hard about buying a new set of rims, or even wheel adapters.

What are the ones you've got? Could I borrow them for rollers if I did?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:32 pm

The Toyota 6 lug pattern is different than the Ford 6 lug pattern, 6x5.5"(139.7mm) vs. 6x135mm. I've got a worn set of Nitto Terra Grappler ATs on some fairly ugly chrome 18s.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:12 am

What do you have to do to fit 34's under your rig? I ran 33's (305/70r16 KM2s) on mine and hit fender until I leveled it and killed the ride.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:33 am

Ty wrote:What do you have to do to fit 34's under your rig?

Crank crank crank.

Which I'm thinking about doing anyway, this truck is so soggy in front it could use a little ride-killing.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:31 am

Tire thread Hi-Jacking question. The new first gen Taco DC has 265/70/16 load range E KO's. This truck is obviously light for load range E, I haven't checked what they are currently at. But they have obviously been run at to high of pressure because the middle of the tire is almost gone and the edges are nearly new. What would you guys run for pressure on this with load range E?
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:05 am

I run the KM2s on the Bastard at 40 PSI, and they're wearing perfectly. That's approximately the same weight, I assume, maybe a little lighter?

In other news, I found four wheel adapters for $250, so unless Costco quotes me a stupid awesome price on some tires this morning, I'm going to rob the Bastard's tires and postpone the decision.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:37 am

Wondering if they've been run at max pressure for MPG, I don't care if it gets you 1mpg that's a lot of cash gone on new expensive tires
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:11 pm

I'm running between 40 and 45 psi on my E-rated tires. Though my truck is heavier than a Tacoma.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:25 pm

TRD270 wrote:Wondering if they've been run at max pressure for MPG, I don't care if it gets you 1mpg that's a lot of cash gone on new expensive tires

And a rough ride too. I ran mine up to 55 PSI once to see if I'd save any gas, and I never found out because I went about three blocks before airing them back down.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:18 pm

I just checked them, they are at 40 psi, try 35 maybe?
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:20 pm

There's all kinds of engineers and nerds that'll give you all kinds of math based on the tire's load rating and the weight of the truck to tell you what your PSI should be. I say go with what works - if 40 is wearing out the middles, go to 35 or 30.

Are you sure the PO didn't have them higher and just lowered it to 40 though?
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRD270 Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:24 pm

That's what I need to figure out, because I don't want to roast a brand new set of tires when I replace them. I'd like to get the PSI dialed in, but knowing what PSI caused this is hard to know
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdgentrav Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:54 pm

There are several ads on KSL listing all sizes of Kenda Klever tires, ten ply (E) rated at pretty good prices. the pictures show very aggressive tread patterns. has anyone tried these?
3rdgentrav
3rdgentrav

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:49 am

^ I almost pulled the trigger on a set of those. Post up if you get them, I'd like to hear a firsthand review.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdgentrav Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:55 am

wish I could find some reviews on them, Kenda has made ATV tires for years, and have a good reputation with them. now they make everything, car tires and truck tires. Aggressive looking Nankings and all terrain Westlakes are all over KSL too- no wonder the topic of this thread is why is buying tires so ***ing hard....Smile
3rdgentrav
3rdgentrav

Back to top Go down

Post by Vitruvius Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:19 am

Has anyone driven the KO2 in the snow / water? I read some reviews somewhere that the KOs (not KO2s) were pretty bad on water and snow.

Looking at getting either KO2, Duratracs, or Cooper Discoverers AT3
Vitruvius
Vitruvius
PHOTO KING

http://5-degrees.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:51 am

Brad (offroad medic) has KO2s on his patrol vehicle and he really likes them. Ask him about them. I've had the Cooper ATPs before and was happy with those tires.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:03 am

I'm not terribly impressed with our Duratracs.  They're a fine tire, but no better in the snow than any other AT I've had and not worth the premium.  If I was buying a set of AT tires right now (and I might be) it'll be Cooper ATPs or the KO2s.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next