Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef

4 posters

Go down

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef Empty Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef

Post by Kevin Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:32 am

Kindof a short notice trip - we packed and left Saturday afternoon, stayed in a hotel in Torrey, and drove around a bunch.  We intended to spend one day driving the Burr Trail and the Notom-Bullfrog road (which we did), and the second day driving up Hartnet Road then through Cathedral Valley and back down Caine Wash (which we didn't).

We got up early Sunday morning and headed south to the little town of Boulder, where the Burr Trail starts.  I was hoping for more dirt, but the entire Burr Trail is actually paved all the way to the border between Grand Staircase and Capitol Reef, good scenery but zero adventure.  The most engaging day one got was a washbottom route leading north from the Burr Trail to a hike and overlook above the Waterpocket Fold.  I still didn't use 4WD, but beggars can't be choosers.  I did see a couple of side trips with appealing names like "Wolverine Trail" and "Little Death Valley", so more exploration is warranted.  With lots of stops for leg stretching and diaper changing, we managed to spend all day out there - we left Torrey just before nine a.m., and got back just after 4 pm.  Managed to find a little burger joint that was open, and then it was back to the hotel.

Monday morning we got up with the sun again, ate breakfast, and were on the road by eight thirty.  We'd meant to drive up Hartnet Road, but the river crossing at the Fremont looked just sketchy enough to make us change our plans - the river's not that wide, but there was a swift deep current right in front of the exit on the other side that had me wondering if my truck would make it up the bank, so I'll come back when I've got a winch or one of you along to get me out if I get stuck!  We drove up the road a little ways to Caine Wash and went in that way.  Again, it's a graded dirt road with absolutely zero technical driving, but the scenery more than made up for that.  At the end of Cathedral Valley is a short little set of switchbacks up a cliff, and due to being in shade all day they still had a foot or so of snow on them.  Without 4wd and good tires I wouldn't have made it up, and there were a couple pucker moments when the rear broke traction and sent me sideways towards the edge as we climbed.  At the top, we saw NO tracks turning right in the direction of our intended exit (Thousand Lake Mountain), and a consult of the map revealed what we'd missed earlier - "closed in winter".  Our other option was a turn left and down Hartnet Road to the water crossing we'd already skipped, so it was a 4low crawl back down the switchbacks (not nearly as sketchy). and then north along the Last Chance Desert and Blue Flats to I70.

So, mostly touristy stuff but just enough adventure to make it a proper trip.  I didn't take a bunch of pics because cell phone cameras and terrible light make for lousy shots, but here's a couple.

Airing down as we hit the end of the paved section of the Burr Trail:

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef 20150118_105620_zpshpwxmsqs

Upper Muley Twist and the Strike Valley overlook:

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef 20150118_113804_zpsybgeqbbl

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef 20150118_121331_zpseipm6chf

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef 20150118_121346_zpsictondqe

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef 20150118_125609_zps56ncwszs

Cool imagery along the Notom-Bullfrog road:

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef 20150118_132732_zpsf6pppjsr

Gypsum Sinkhole in Cathedral Valley:

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef 20150119_114131_zpsui9uiv6f

A dugout cabin along our exit route:

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef 20150119_142516_zpswuz8j21e

So, yeah.  I'm ready to go back, Wolverine Trail is calling my name and there's a ton of hikes in the area that we skipped.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef Empty Re: Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef

Post by dutchman Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:52 am

Awesome scenery. We live in a beautiful state.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef Empty Re: Burr Trail/Notom-Bullfrog Road/Capitol Reef

Post by TRD270 Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Looks fun Kevin, think Tue-Thur trip
TRD270
TRD270

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:48 pm

Awesome scenery!! I bet the best scenery you got though was Monday afternoon in Santaquin, when you got to see me!!!!!
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down