Guns'n'stuff

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Guns'n'stuff

Post by Kevin on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:42 am

I got my hands on my Grandpa's old 308 last weekend. That brings my collection to one .308, two .22 rifles, a .22 revolver, a single barrel 20ga cut down and a .410 side by side that is technically Ian's Christmas present from his grandpa tho he doesn't know it yet. Most of those have sentimental value, I'd better start thinking about a safe.

I know some of you guys have arsenals - whatcha got?

Kevin
Badmin

http://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Guns'n'stuff

Post by dutchman on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:31 pm

I've got a 12 Ga. Pump, 9mm, and an AR-15.  My wife has a .380.

Arsenal plans include: Hunting rifle (30-06), another AR-15, 1911 45acp, and maybe an AK.

Ty wrote:The rear end is super easy  I could do it my self while some others do the front end.
dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:37 pm

I need a 12ga pump, and I need a semi-auto that isn't an AR or AK. Maybe a Ruger Mini-15 or Mini-30? I'd like a small .357 revolver, too.

Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:42 pm

My buddy has a mini-14. Awesome gun!

Ty wrote:The rear end is super easy  I could do it my self while some others do the front end.
dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:47 pm

.50 cal muzzleloader
12 GA Rem Express pump shotgun
.30-06 Savage deer rifle
Colt AR-15 (my coyote gun)
9mm Glock 19 (current carry)
10mm Glock 20 (bear gun)
.380 Ruger (wife's carry)
PSE compound bow

Oh, and Kallin's BB gun... cheers

On my wish list:

7mm for larger deer and elk (I'm too big of a wuss to shoot a .300 win mag)
.380 Glock 42 for conceal carry (the 9mm is just too big)
12 GA semi-auto
.257 Weatherby (great beginner hunting rifle)

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:45 pm

Andrew wrote:.50 cal muzzleloader
12 GA Rem Express pump shotgun
.30-06 Savage deer rifle
Colt AR-15 (my coyote gun)
9mm Glock 19 (current carry)
10mm Glock 20 (bear gun)
.380 Ruger (wife's carry)
PSE compound bow

Oh, and Kallin's BB gun... cheers

On my wish list:

7mm for larger deer and elk (I'm too big of a wuss to shoot a .300 win mag)
.380 Glock 42 for conceal carry (the 9mm is just too big)
12 GA semi-auto
.257 Weatherby (great beginner hunting rifle)

Don't you have a Stealthgear holster for your 9mm? I've got one for my Walther and has never seemed too big to carry.

How come you want a 7mm for larger deer or elk? Wouldn't your 30-06 handle that just fine?

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:59 pm

dutchman wrote:Don't you have a Stealthgear holster for your 9mm?

Yes, I do. The only place I can carry it that feels somewhat comfortable is in the small of my back. And then, since it's a right-handed holster, the grip is towards my left hip, which makes it hard to grab it quickly. If I wear it right behind my hip then it sticks out pretty obviously.

dutchman wrote:How come you want a 7mm for larger deer or elk?  Wouldn't your 30-06 handle that just fine?

Almost. I shoot a 162 grain bullet out of my .30-06, my buddy hand loads the rounds for me. If I try to shoot anything heavier, trajectory slows down significantly and the drop is too much at long distances. My scope limits me to about a 400 yd shot. The biggest reason, though, is the barrel. it's got a skinny, worn out barrel, which translates to horrible accuracy at long range. So, instead of dropping a bunch of $$ into my $200 pawn shop find, 15 years ago, I'd like to upgrade to a 7mm. Plan is to get a nice stout, thick barrel that will stay true at long range. I'd probably stick with a 180 gr. bullet and would like to get a NICE long range scope with turrets for dialing in shots in the 700+ yard range. Entirely necessary? Certainly not. But that's why it's on my "wish" list. Very Happy

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:24 pm

Andrew wrote:

Yes, I do.  The only place I can carry it that feels somewhat comfortable is in the small of my back.  And then, since it's a right-handed holster, the grip is towards my left hip, which makes it hard to grab it quickly.  If I wear it right behind my hip then it sticks out pretty obviously.

Almost.  I shoot a 162 grain bullet out of my .30-06, my buddy hand loads the rounds for me.  If I try to shoot anything heavier, trajectory slows down significantly and the drop is too much at long distances.  My scope limits me to about a 400 yd shot.  The biggest reason, though, is the barrel.  it's got a skinny, worn out barrel, which translates to horrible accuracy at long range.  So, instead of dropping a bunch of $$ into my $200 pawn shop find, 15 years ago, I'd like to upgrade to a 7mm.  Plan is to get a nice stout, thick barrel that will stay true at long range.  I'd probably stick with a 180 gr. bullet and would like to get a NICE long range scope with turrets for dialing in shots in the 700+ yard range.  Entirely necessary?  Certainly not.  But that's why it's on my "wish" list.  Very Happy

That's interesting that your gun sticks out behind your hip with the holster. Mine doesn't seem to stick out bad at all, could be the difference in gun though. A guy I work with has a 7mm and we joke that he can hit an elk in Colorado from his front porch. Those things shoot long and flat.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty on Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:37 pm

22 rifle
12 guage Mossberg
25 auto mini handgun
And conveniently storing my dad's 308!!

I have always wanted a nice .357 revolver and a double barrel .410. Other than that my list is pretty short .

Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:36 am

Andrew wrote:.50 cal muzzleloader

Mmm, black powder. That's been on my "stuff I want to play with" list for a while. Do you hunt with it?

Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:43 am

Kevin wrote:Mmm, black powder.  That's been on my "stuff I want to play with" list for a while.  Do you hunt with it?

Yes! I hunted muzzy deer this year. If you want a chance at killing something in Utah, hunt muzzy. Unless you have hours and hours to dedicate to bow hunting, it's really the only non-crazy season. I've hunted rifle several times as well and it's nothing but a pumpkin patch. Never killed anything with it yet...hoping for next year.

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:50 am

Ruger 10-22 rifle
Rock River Arms AR15
Benelli 12 gauge pump
Springfield XD40 compact
Glock 22 (on duty carry)

Plus the other fun toys I get to carry in my truck when I'm at work
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:02 am

I'd love to get a Glock 27 as a concealed carry option...if only I could find someone to hook me up with .40 ammo... Razz

My ex-neighbor was UHP and offered me .40 ammo whenever I wanted it. Actually, he is how I got my Colt AR-15 for so cheap...it was through a department buy. Luckily he cheated on his wife for like the 3rd time and they both moved. Evil or Very Mad

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 am

Andrew wrote:
Kevin wrote:Mmm, black powder.  That's been on my "stuff I want to play with" list for a while.  Do you hunt with it?

Yes!  I hunted muzzy deer this year.  If you want a chance at killing something in Utah, hunt muzzy.  Unless you have hours and hours to dedicate to bow hunting, it's really the only non-crazy season.  I've hunted rifle several times as well and it's nothing but a pumpkin patch.  Never killed anything with it yet...hoping for next year.

As a matter of fact I do want to kill something in Utah and fill my freezer with it, so school me on muzzleloaders. I see flintlocks on Cabelas for $320, so that doesn't seem to steep an entry, what else does a fellow need? Some powder and balls and a permit and a black powder tag, right?

Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:16 am

Andrew wrote:I'd love to get a Glock 27 as a concealed carry option...if only I could find someone to hook me up with .40 ammo... Razz

My ex-neighbor was UHP and offered me .40 ammo whenever I wanted it. Actually, he is how I got my Colt AR-15 for so cheap...it was through a department buy. Luckily he cheated on his wife for like the 3rd time and they both moved.  Evil or Very Mad

I'm trying to get rid of my XD so that I can go to a G27 for my concealed and have the same equipment both on and off duty. .40 ammo isn't that bad to find, especially now that the feds are switching back to 9mm for duty weapons. All the bandwagon people will want to shoot the same thing as the FBI.
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:43 am

Kevin wrote:As a matter of fact I do want to kill something in Utah and fill my freezer with it, so school me on muzzleloaders.  I see flintlocks on Cabelas for $320, so that doesn't seem to steep an entry, what else does a fellow need?  Some powder and balls and a permit and a black powder tag, right?

You need a hunting permit. They are good for 1 year from date of purchase. I always buy the hunting/fishing permit combo, which is $30. In order to get a hunting permit you need a Utah blue card. This shows that you've completed a hunter's safety course. I completed mine in Cali so I had to pay $10, show them my hunter's safety card, and they issued me a blue card. Then, you have to put in for hunts. There are once-in-a-lifetime, limited entry, and general season hunts. There are bow, muzzy, and rifle seasons for pretty much all general season hunts. Bow hunters get first shot, then muzzy, then rifle. This year, I drew a general season buck deer muzzleloader in Kamas. I also bought an over-the-counter spike elk tag for rifle (it's good anywhere in the state, in a spike-only zone). I also drew an anterless elk tag for the Skyline drive area (off Highway 6). I should probably start another thread on hunting Utah since I'm barely scratching the surface here.

Back to guns. I use this rifle (Traditions Buckmaster) . "Round Balls" are so 17th century ;-). We use projectiles and sabots now - I use these (Hornady SST). I have a red dot scope on mine since, in Utah, we are allowed a 1x scope...nothing more.

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:49 am

17th century was my thing, once upon a time. If we could hunt deer with a longsword or rapier I'd be set. Very Happy

Are you a stalker, or do you hole up and wait? I've never had the patience for trolling or bobber fishing, I suspect I'd hate huddling in a blind or up a stand too. I assume the muzzle loaders are less accurate than a modern rifle, how far out can you put an accurate shot?

Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:55 am

We spot and stalk. Sitting in a blind, using bait for deer is how the mid-westerners hunt their whitetail. Black powder, with the bullets and sabots, is accurate out to 250 or so. I can't group shots @ 250 yds as nicely as I can with a rifle, but all I need is the first one to be accurate.

Recovery Addict
Recovery Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:57 am

offroad_medic wrote:I'm trying to get rid of my XD so that I can go to a G27 for my concealed and have the same equipment both on and off duty. .40 ammo isn't that bad to find, especially now that the feds are switching back to 9mm for duty weapons. All the bandwagon people will want to shoot the same thing as the FBI.

Damn, looks like my 9mm will be getting more expensive. Stupid bandwagoners...

We should start a hunting thread so Andrew can share his expertise. I want to give it a shot at some point.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:03 am

Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:40 am

You'd need a bolt and carrier group, barrel, upper parts kit, buffer tube assembly, furniture (butt stock, rail or handguard, pistol grip), optic or iron sights, and whatever "taticool" accessories you want.

He's got a pretty good price for the .308 stuff. Those part are more expensive than their .223/5.56 equivalents.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum