Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toyota's engineers just made me crazy....

5 posters

Go down

Toyota's engineers just made me crazy.... Empty Toyota's engineers just made me crazy....

Post by dutchman Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:03 pm

Why are the O2 sensors before both cats or after both cats?!?!?!?!?! scratch   They should have put on between them so you can determine which catalytic converter is bad.  I've got the P0420 and the shop today told me that the O2 sensors are working correctly, but they can't tell which cat is bad! AHHHH!!

Nearly $900 to replace both cats, since the first cat needs to be a direct fit one (should fix the CEL).  About $300 to replace the second cat w/ no guarantee that will remove the CEL.

It's about $100 for this option to trick the CEL and pass the OBDII emissions test, since they don't sniff the tail pipe.

URD O2 Simulator

Any of you guys familiar with this? Heard anything about it?

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Toyota's engineers just made me crazy.... Empty Re: Toyota's engineers just made me crazy....

Post by Ty Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:07 pm

That sucks. I guess you should move to Box Elder and not worry about it!
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Toyota's engineers just made me crazy.... Empty Re: Toyota's engineers just made me crazy....

Post by offroad_medic Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:16 pm

Did you get your radiator swapped out yet?
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Are your cats welded in place? If you have an easy way to remove them, I have a brand new high-flow 2" inlet/outlet cat you can use to see which one is the problem.
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:58 am

Get a new muffler shop. They can put a hole in the pipe between the mufflers and put a sniffer in - they can tell you exactly which cat is bad, they just don't want to.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Brad, the Radiator swap is done. It showed up last week and didn't take long to get put in.

Andrew, I'll have to get under there and look to see how easy the cats are to take off. I think the 1st one needs to be an exact fit, the 2nd can be universal. I may take you up on the offer.

Kevin, I'll check around and see if any shops will do that.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:00 am

Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Good find Kevin! That looks fairly simple, and for $5 it's worth trying out.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:19 am

So apparently you have a wideband in front, Brady, and the ECU uses the signal from the rear O2 sensor to calibrate it.  Looks like the jury is out on whether or not that will work with the O2 simulator mod in place?

You probably should just junk it and buy Andrews truck.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:51 am

I still might give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I'm no worse off.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:46 am

Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 am

Pulled the sensor and wired up the resistor and capacitor. Got everything plugged back up, but got busy taking the ball joints apart so I haven't turned it on to see if it worked.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:19 am

In case anyone needs this in the future, it worked. Cleared my CEL for p0420.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down