Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noob Run

+6
Tee-Bone
dutchman
Kevin
smkd13
snivilous
offroad_medic
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Noob Run Empty Noob Run

Post by offroad_medic Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Who is down for running up AFC on the 21st or 28th? If not AFC I'm down for wherever else someone suggests, Kevin you're persuasive go convince the noobs on T4R to sign up here so I'm not the only stocker on the run again!
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Noob Run Empty Re: Noob Run

Post by snivilous Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Dude, you're totally NOT stock. You removed your running boards Very Happy 

And I think we should do rattlesnake. I've heard mineral basin is fun too, I just didn't go very far up it the one time I went wheeling around there...
snivilous
snivilous

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:46 pm

HAHAHA they were factory installed sliders get it right! my rig is more stock then when i bought it now that i ripped the brush guard and tail light "guards" off. lol I know I won't make it up MIneral Basin as I sit now.....
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by smkd13 Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:56 pm

offroad_medic wrote:HAHAHA they were factory installed sliders get it right! my rig is more stock then when i bought it now that i ripped the brush guard and tail light "guards" off. lol I know I won't make it up MIneral Basin as I sit now.....
Yeah once you have sliders you be all good for mineral basin. You are good for Forrest without sliders though.
smkd13
smkd13

Back to top Go down

Post by smkd13 Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:57 pm

snivilous wrote:Dude, you're totally NOT stock. You removed your running boards Very Happy 

And I think we should do rattlesnake. I've heard mineral basin is fun too, I just didn't go very far up it the one time I went wheeling around there...
Both are a lot of fun. I liked mineral basin the best though. Just more scenic
smkd13
smkd13

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:04 pm

smkd13 wrote:
offroad_medic wrote:HAHAHA they were factory installed sliders get it right! my rig is more stock then when i bought it now that i ripped the brush guard and tail light "guards" off. lol I know I won't make it up MIneral Basin as I sit now.....
Yeah once you have sliders you be all good for mineral basin. You are good for Forrest without sliders though.
I was told that for Mineral you need some extra clearance to make it up there......as long as I have some good spotters I'm down just as long as I dont break things so I can still get to work,
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by snivilous Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 pm

offroad_medic wrote:
smkd13 wrote:
I was told that for Mineral you need some extra clearance to make it up there......as long as I have some good spotters I'm down just as long as I dont break things so I can still get to work,
Ditto^

I have all aftermarket armor to try and live, but I can't be breaking (much) since I need to get to school at least. And I only have 29" tires (Walmarts version of a 31x10.50....) so I have even less true ground clearance than probably everyone.
snivilous
snivilous

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:16 am

Mineral Basin is roughly approximate to Snakes.  It has some obstacles that are decently hard - most of them have bypasses, with the exception of one tippy squeeze that doesn't have a bypass and definitely threatens both rocker panels and underwear.  A driver with some experience could probably make it up with an open-diffed truck on 31s, but I don't think I would recommend it for a newer driver without 31s, armor, and a locker, or 33s without a locker.  The first time I went up was in my old '86 on 32s with armor and locked rear/lsd front, and I high centered a couple times and needed help, but I was a pretty raw wheeler then too.  So it's up to you guys - evaluate your skill level and how well prepared your truck is, and if you decide you want to drive Mineral I'm all for it - really the worst that could happen would be you'd scar your rocker panels or rear bumper a little.

Forest Lake is easier than Mineral, but I don't know that I would call it 100% stock/noob friendly either.  There's a couple rock gardens at the start that threaten to take a bite of a rocker panel without careful spotting, and the bypasses around them are illegal and should not be driven.  It's certainly possible and perhaps even likely that a stock truck could get through there without damage, but I wouldn't want to guarantee it.  Damage is certainly possible on Forest Lake if you're not careful.

Then there's Mary Ellen Gulch, and that's absolutely noob/stocker friendly, but honestly, that trail is just annoying - lots and lots of babyheads make for slow going, and there's nothing really technical until you get above the meadow and that's just one little funky section.  If you're planning to spend the day checking out the mining ruins, or haven't driven up there yet at all, it's worth it, but Mary Ellen Gulch is a destination, not a trail that I'd drive because it's fun in and of itself.  I haven't been up Miller Hill yet, I don't know if there's wheeling up there or it it's just dirt roads.  I haven't been up Upper Major Evans above Silver Lake either, but I hear that's just dirt roads and switchbacks too.

I work the weekend of the 21st, but I could be down for a morning run up AFC Saturday or Sunday.  The weekend of the 28th is National Public Lands Day, and anybody who's out and about that Saturday SHOULD be participating in a service project - see the other thread here in this section, but there's projects at Five Mile Pass, Little Moab, and at Graveyard Flat up AFC.  There may be time for wheeling afterwards, or we could meet to wheel that Sunday.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 am

I could probably make the morning of the 21st for a run that is somewhat close. I would also be down for getting a group together and going to a project area on the 28th and then wheeling afterwards. I have never been out to little Moab so I wouldn't mind playing out there if my stocker can keep up. If not then Snakes or Forrest?
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:19 am

I'm up for a run the 21st or 22nd (Sat/Sun) in the morning.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:26 am

Little Moab is just a playground, Brad, not really a trail.  That's where I'll be on NPLD, you're welcome to join me.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 am

I knew they had a bunch of stuff to play on I just didn't know if there were any trails out there too

So Brady and Kevin how does a morning run up Forrest lake on the 21st sound? Anybody else interested?
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Works for me.  I could get off work an hour early probably and be at Tibble by 0900.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm fine with anytime. I get off work at 0600 in midvale so pretty much anytime after that works for me. Brady you have the long drive so I guess it depends on how early you want to wake up.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:01 pm

As of right now 0900 works for me. If the time needs to be changed we can do that.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Completely random tangent, but Kevin since when did you change your title to "Badmin"? I just noticed that and must say it is pretty awesome. Twisted Evil 
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:32 pm

When I couldn't figure out how to merge those two trip report threads.  It seemed appropriate.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tee-Bone Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:19 am

There! I signed up! Actually, I thought I had already,but if I did I forgot under what name.

Anyway, I am moving this month, so I won't know for sure if I can go until the last minute.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and I'll speak up if it looks like I am able to head out.

And yeah, I am totally stock, other than '99 rear springs and a shock upgrade. No e-locker. I'll cross my fingers.

Tee-Bone

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:20 am

Welcome! The guys here are great and hopefully you can make it next Saturday up AF canyon!
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:34 pm

One if my good buddies from work might tag along in his lifted Ranger but we'll see if he decides to show up and then another kid that wants to pop his cherry going on anything more than a dirt road might come. He's in a leveled Tundra so maybe you will get to see a n00b break something Kevin. Haha
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by smkd13 Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:12 pm

I am probably gonna be taking Ark from T4R up Forrest at 8 so he can make it to work
smkd13
smkd13

Back to top Go down

Post by snivilous Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:49 pm

So....when's this going down? Or was it today? I think I made enough money today to afford coming down for a day to play Very Happy 
snivilous
snivilous

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Next week on the 21st. Meeting in the parking lot at Tibble Firk at 0900. As if right now we have 4 confirmed guys and I have three maybes from buddies off the forum. Everyone should come because it's going to be rad and you don't want to be lame.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Devin Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:46 am

i would totally be coming but... ill but up at miller at 7 for cruiserfest... you should all come up there too afterwards... hopefully before weather gets bad i can come out with everyone... i wanna get out there more for wheelin
Devin
Devin

Back to top Go down

Post by offroad_medic Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:01 am

Come to Moab with us in October for a few days! We'll be running all difficulties of trails and just enjoying a good time in general.
offroad_medic
offroad_medic
Law Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum