Utah DesertRunners T4R
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire Options

+2
dutchman
Vitruvius
6 posters

Go down

Tire Options Empty Tire Options

Post by Vitruvius Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:01 pm

So tires are still confusing to me for some reason. I am starting to look for some new tires for my rig, I'm thinking something a little more suitable for the wheeling we have done recently. I do like the ones on Kevin's / Nicole's, the Km2's. What are some other options that are similar? If I end up with something similar to those 33" Km2's I believe i would need a slight lift so they won't rub. Would I need wheel spacers too? Anyway, I have a bunch of questions, hope you guys don't mind me picking your brains for some advice. Any hook-ups out there? I might try a contact I have with that new 'My Tire Guys' store in Lehi. If I get new tires, should i hold on to my old ones or just sell them on KSL or something?
Vitruvius
Vitruvius
PHOTO KING

http://5-degrees.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Tire Options Empty Re: Tire Options

Post by dutchman Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:01 pm

I've been real happy with my 265/75r16 Cooper Discoverer ATP. Got them at the Discount Tire in AF. You'd need a little bit of lift to fit 33s (285/75 or 255/85) and probably wheel spacers unless you decide to go with different wheels. You could try and sell your current tires on ksl (not sure how much you'd get), keep them as a spare set, or just let the tire place dump them for you. Km2s can be spendy, but as you saw when we ran snakes the do awesome on the trail. Over on t4r you'll notice that a lot of people dig the Goodyear Duratracs. I'm sure everyone you ask will give you a different answer on what tire and size they like/prefer.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 pm

We could talk for years about tires.

Size first - I think you can go 265/75r16 without rubbing too badly. Any bigger and you'll need a lift. Nicole's '99 has 285/75r16s and rubbed badly without any lift - with the OME coils on (prox 2") they stuff ok but still rub a little on the frame at steering lock. I suspect there'll still be a little rubbing at full articulation. They also make the truck more sluggish than I'd like, so if you're going to step up above a 31" tire you might want to budget new gears for your differentials.

Type of tires is highly subjective. The KM2s I run are a "mud terrain" tire, in the same class as Goodyear MTR and Toyo MT - aggressive tread with lateral blocks and big tread gaps, designed to clean themselves of mud as they spin - incidentally, this makes them also good at grabbing little bits of rock and dirt, so they're a great choice for a truck that sees lots of off road action. They're streetable, but they do have a downside - they tend to have stiff sidewalls, which means a rough ride, and the large blocks and voids makes for a noisier ride and less fuel economy. Because the blocks are lateral and not vertical, they don't handle as well on pavement either, and I have to slow down in heavy rain or slush. So there's tradeoffs for running an aggressive MT tire that you oughta be ready for. One of the reasons I like the KM2s so much is they pretty much have the least noise and least rolling resistance of all the good MT class tires, but they're still no match for a good allweather or allterrain tire in terms of safety or comfort on the pavement, or tread life for that matter.

The compromise between a serious offroad tire and a street tire is going to be an "all terrain". These tires also have rock and mud grabbing tread blocks that perform well off road, but they tend to be more vertically oriented in order to handle slick pavement better. They're quieter and more comfortable as well. BFG AT tires are very popular, but the tread pattern is getting dated - they've still got probably the best tread life of all the ATs, my buddy just passed 75000 miles on his and they've got lots of tread left. I really liked my Bigfoot AT tires from Big-O in terms of tread life and traction, but the P-rated tires I had were very weak in the sidewall. Get a load-rated tire if you go with those. Brady runs Cooper ATPs and keeps up with my KM2s just fine, I've been really impressed with his tires. Goodyear Duratracs are the current trendy tire and have an awesome reputation for ride quality and snow/wet traction, but get dinged for weak sidewalls (hard to have solid sidewalls AND and comfy ride).

I think I just wrote a book, so I'm gonna shut up now. I think you'd be served best by a good AT tire - I think the Duratracs would work well for you, and the Cooper ATP or Bigfoot ATs would be great as well. There's other tires out there too - I like to browse at Discounttiredirect.com and Tirerack.com, checking the ratings and reading the reviews. Waste some time poking around, see what grabs you.
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dutchman Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Kevin wrote: They also make the truck more sluggish than I'd like, so if you're going to step up above a 31" tire you might want to budget new gears for your differentials.

Good thing to think about. My tires are 32s and with the 4.10 gears it leaves something to be desired.

dutchman
Resident Gorilla
Resident Gorilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Take a look at the new Toyo Open Country A/T II's. Not as aggressive as the Duratracs but the LT sizes come with a 50,000 mile tread warranty.

Toyo Open Country A/T II
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by Vitruvius Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:03 pm

Just spent the last hour browsing discounttiredirect.com. Thanks for the info/advice/links. Decided an A/T tire is the way to go for me. Even though those KM2s look great and if I won those somehow, I would take them in a heartbeat, I decided those probably aren't the one$ I will be getting.
Checked out the Open Country AT ii, Duratracs, and Coopers Discoverer ATPs - all of them look great and would be better then what I have right now. Now that I have some sort of idea what I am looking for, its time to find the right price.
Vitruvius
Vitruvius
PHOTO KING

http://5-degrees.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ty Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:13 am

IMHO I would stay away from the KM2 for a DD. I have them on my F-150 and HATE THEM!!! I love the look, like the way they handle on the road. HATE the way they handle in the snow. In deep snow like wheelin' they are great but man on packed snow and ice stay the heck away from them.

From everything I've heard the Duratracs are the best all around tire.

Andrew started this thread a while back

Massive Tire Guide

this is an awesome article and it will really help.
Ty
Ty
Social Media Admin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:52 am

Did you have them siped, Ty? Mine are, and they aren't Blizzaks but they're usable. We were flying down an iced-over Pony Express trail last week at 45-50mph in 2wd without problems...
Kevin
Kevin
Badmin

https://desertrunnerst4r.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 am

Tundra-specific thread but still some good opinions on some popular A/T tires...

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-wheels-tires/118454-cooper-at3-toyo-open-country-at2.html
Andrew
Andrew
Resident Strongman

Back to top Go down

Post by GottaBeTRD Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:42 pm

my buddy has the Km2's on his runner and he said they are running out of tread way fast. I'm in the same boat as you with looking at tires. I'm pretty sure i'm gonna get some Duratracs.

Right now i have the General Grabber AT2's and honestly these things blew me away. I've had them for 4+ years now and they still have about 20% tread left. Plus they look sick!
GottaBeTRD
GottaBeTRD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down